Figuring it out slowly

How do I get my rooster to be a rooster?

• Introduction techniques

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • EE rooster characteristics

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

nubcake

Chirping
Sep 28, 2019
Loveland Ohio
After a really bad car accident I was limited to light reading and picture books. My husband started grabbing sections of books from the library to keep me busy and brought home the entire section on backyard chickens. I became obsessed and we decided to try it out. We have 6 hens about 12 weeks old: brahma (Miss Brown), Calico Princess (Princess Layer), Barnevelder (Cocoa), 2 blue Andalusian (Rocket and Runt) , and a silver laced Wyandotte (Dak). They all free range and are very happy and healthy. Just recued an EE Roo (Hedwig) that is only 8 weeks. He prefers watching tv with my son and sitting at my feet in the office. Wants nothing to do with the girls. I put him in his private run to interact with them every morning and he immediately escapes to the house (we have a doggy door). Not really sure what to do next.

Attachments

• IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 20
Welocome to the BYC flock, wait until he turns into a teenage nightmare for about a month when the hormones kick in usually about 3-4 months old, know that it is temporary then he will want to be out there with the hens but until he gets em leveled out may try to chase the hens and pullets , it's just something they gotta figure out and if you have older hens than him it will help as they will educated him on how to treat a hen.

Cockerels normally mature about 2 months ahead of the pullets

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Many years ago my friends in Ohio kept one of their easter chicks. The son made a pet out of him. When I saw him he was full grown and in their home. He mostly rode on the son's shoulders, a very docile bird.

When the father got sick of them - he had to go down in the basement.

I think if he isn't near the hens he may continue to be a happy house rooster. Also my friend used to keep house silkies. One she had turned out to be a male and she kept him in the house with her. He also was somewhat disabled, so couldn't go after/breed her females. He lived for 5 years.

When strangers or repair men came to her house, the rooster and girl silkies would run and hide behind couch. and he would peek out now and then to see if the coast the clear. If if was they all strolled out.

After a really bad car accident I was limited to light reading and picture books. My husband started grabbing sections of books from the library to keep me busy and brought home the entire section on backyard chickens. I became obsessed and we decided to try it out. We have 6 hens about 12 weeks old: brahma (Miss Brown), Calico Princess (Princess Layer), Barnevelder (Cocoa), 2 blue Andalusian (Rocket and Runt) , and a silver laced Wyandotte (Dak). They all free range and are very happy and healthy. Just recued an EE Roo (Hedwig) that is only 8 weeks. He prefers watching tv with my son and sitting at my feet in the office. Wants nothing to do with the girls. I put him in his private run to interact with them every morning and he immediately escapes to the house (we have a doggy door). Not really sure what to do next.

Oh my goodness how adorable are those pictures!!!!! ❤️
Sorry can’t help on your situation though! Good luck! I’m sure all will be well in time when everyone is a bit more mature. X

Hello nubcake.
Welcome to BYC.
Put him in with the hens is the short answer. Yup, it will be rough for a while. They will probably make his life a misery until he matures. In a coop and run on his own he isn't going to learn what he needs to if he is to free range with the others.
This article may help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Back
Top Bottom