"Filleting"

Quote:
That's how we did it growing up. Been thinking about doing that again with our meatier birds to avoid the gutting portion, hubby is a bit too squeamish to handle that part and leaves me to do it all
roll.png

BTW.... is it a Florida thing? The only people I've met that do it this way are from Florida, myself included!

Don't know if it's a Florida thing or not.
big_smile.png
Maybe it's because I do so much fishing and filleting. In fact, I think that's where I got the idea.

Before I started filleting, I was gutting the chicken, splitting them down the middle of the breast and then cutting on the backbone out with a large knife and hammer. It's not hard, but a little more time consuming than filleting the meat off the carcass. Plus, my wife has difficulty cutting chicken into pieces because of a wrist problem so this saves her the effort.

As far as processing venison goes, its a lot of work for a little bit of meat when it comes to the ribs. We process our own and we do scrape the rib meat (with fillet knives) and that goes into the grinding pot for burger. You have to scrape it as the ribs are closer together typically without cutting them apart which would be more work for burger meat. The ribs are closely spaced and on a bigger deer wouldn't be good for the grill too tough. Good for a stock? Absolutely. We eat a lot of burger and when we are done with a carcass the only thing left is the skin, bones and about 1" around the point of impact (arrow, bullet etc).

Just my .02 cents as a hunter....carry on
cool.png

You are neither boning nor filleting. A fillet is a boneless piece of meat. (not limited to fish) It can be any meat, fish, chicken, turkey, beef, alligator, or whatever.

Sounds like what you are doing is cutting the big pieces off of the carcass and throwing the rest away, is that right? I don't know if there's a specific term for that.

I have sometimes boned the breasts and thighs from my dual purp birds, for frying strips, and saved the rest to cook in the crock pot. I saved up a bunch of backs and necks once, cooked them in the crock pot and took the meat off for various things, it was a lot of meat, more than you'd think. I wouldn't throw away that much food, especially meat of any kind. The gutting isn't all that hard, or time consuming. It is on the icky side, but worth it, for the additional meat and stock. If you're raising broiler hybrids, that get butchered young, they're a lot easier to gut than my DP's.

I have dogs and cats, too, and so bits that DH and I don't eat, (livers, spleens, lungs) all go into a scrap bowl that I boil up for the critters.

Last edited:
Yes we did that with the Blue Orpington roos we had and it was delicious. I told my father about that, skin it like a rabbit and fillet it LOL! So we tried it and it was easy, no mess either. Just took out the breast meat and tossed out the carcass in the garbage. Make sure your knives are sharp!

There was a forum on BYC regarding to this.

Quote:
I sell them to the neighbour and she cooks them. I'd give them to her but she insists on paying. Tried to give her some peaches and she insisted on paying for those too.

Back
Top Bottom