Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

I had 4 pips on the night of day 19. On day 20, I had 2 EE hatch, and 1 RIR!
jumpy.gif
They are early and a little wobbly, but otherwise seem fine. It is now day 21 for me. I had one more pip, but no action at all in the other 6 eggs. The other egg, an Ancona that pipped on Friday has a good sized pip. I can see feathers sticking out, but there's no movement at all. It's been 36 hours since the pip, so I'm wondering if it died?

Keeping my fingers crossed for the 6 quiet ones!

Quote:
I took her out for a few reasons. I had to help her hatch as she was stuck in the egg. Once I got her out she was very very sticky so I had to rinse her warm water to clean her off. Also, I have a staggered hatch so I have 15 more EE's in there that are still in the turner (although it wasn't turning while she was hatching) but I didn't want her to get hurt by climbing around on the turner. She was the only one out of the 30 I bought to develop. I feel so stupid for not putting marbles in the water.

Aw I'm so sorry.
hmm.png
Can you contact the seller?
It's not your fault, everyone makes mistakes, but we wouldn't learn if we didn't make mistakes. *hugs*

Thanks .. I did contact her when I had to throw out all of the others. She will replace for cost of shipping but that's another $15 and I already have $30 invested. Should those fail too I would be very angry at the amount of money thrown away. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet

Well I am up to 1 that just hatched while I was getting here and 7 more are pipped. One of the ones that is pipped has some leakage and I am not sure if it is going to make it. It looks to be part of the yolk but I am not sure. I am keeping an eye one it and from time to time I can see movement in it.

Quote:
Aw I'm so sorry.
hmm.png
Can you contact the seller?
It's not your fault, everyone makes mistakes, but we wouldn't learn if we didn't make mistakes. *hugs*

Thanks .. I did contact her when I had to throw out all of the others. She will replace for cost of shipping but that's another $15 and I already have $30 invested. Should those fail too I would be very angry at the amount of money thrown away. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet

I'd say go for it! My first batch in my brinsea that failed cost me $60+ but I tried again. I know it's hard but optimism can go a long way.

Well, here's the final total:

Began with 26 eggs
Went to lockdown with 22, with 2 being unsure

14 healthy chicks, one of which has spraddle leg, but tried a bandaid, we will see.
hu.gif

1 died while zipping
1 died after hatching, had a hernia
1 did not pip, but was fully formed
1 has hatched, but is not going to make it, flops around cant hold his head up, and I have no idea what to do for it
sad.png

the 2 that I was unsire, both started to develop prolly died at day 10 or so, and 2 more the same, they were darker eggs..

The 2 last ones that hatched, I did help a little. 1 of them looked like it had a bubble of fluid, maybe egg did not all absorb, thought I would find it dead this morning. Well, I don't know which one it was! Looks like the others!
ya.gif

This was a really rough hatch, The shipped eggs had a rough time with the PO and beig delivered to front door with boxes upside down and all, I am really surprised any hatched.
somad.gif
I am happy that I have some Lavendar Orpingtons now. Hopefully they will all end up healthy little chicks. I will definitely use a PO box if I decide to order shipped eggs again though.

It was definitely a learning experience!

Congrats to everyone for their hatches and the ones that have started to have pipping. I will post pictures soon.

Quote:
thanks so much for the recap! this is exactly what i was hoping everyone will do so i can learn and compare. i am pretty sure my hatch is done also but i won't post my stats until i take those last eggs out of the bator and eggtopsy, prolly tomorrow. can't wait to see the pics! anyone else done yet?
caf.gif

ps-what is your experience level with incubating?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom