Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

Quote:
It looks very much like a black copper marans chick to me. If it's from a hatchery it may just be "lower" quality egg color as hatcheries breed for quantity not quality. It doesn't have feathered shanks but not all do. You only really want to worry about those standards if you're going to show them.

Here's a pic of two of my BCM chicks that just hatched
270242_10150223631544472_766099471_7168591_1486223_n.jpg

One on it's own
260372_10150223887989472_766099471_7172009_4279259_n.jpg

Quote:
It looks very much like a black copper marans chick to me. If it's from a hatchery it may just be "lower" quality egg color as hatcheries breed for quantity not quality. It doesn't have feathered shanks but not all do. You only really want to worry about those standards if you're going to show them.

Here's a pic of two of my BCM chicks that just hatched
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0223631544472_766099471_7168591_1486223_n.jpg

One on it's own
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0223887989472_766099471_7172009_4279259_n.jpg

It does look very similar. But I did have 2 BCM eggs from the same shipment that were totally different...dark, dark brown, way darker. And it's hard to see in the photo, but it has a silver rings around it's eyes. I emailed them and asked if they could identify. It doesn't matter to me. It's as cute as can be..I'm just curious.

If you think it won't make it on it's own, you can try to peal away a bit of the shell on the top to see what is going on in there. I think they say to steam up the bathroom before doing this and to make sure you have it wrapped in a moist paper towel so it doesn't dry out. I know alot of people say not to help, that if a chick can't get out on it's own, that it wasn't meant to live, so it has to be your decision. Personally, I'd like to give the little guys a chance and help them if I can, and if I'm sure they aren't going to get out of that egg on their own.

Ugh todays day 21/22 for me and no pips
barnie.gif
! How long do I wait before I open the bator to investigate?

Quote:
Just make sure your humidity stays up. I know some people add water through the vents with a straw. I know someone the other day that had some hatch on day 24-25.

Quote:
Just make sure your humidity stays up. I know some people add water through the vents with a straw. I know someone the other day that had some hatch on day 24-25.

Ugh that long seriously!!!? Ugh idk if my heart can take much more lol so I should let them sit? What's the max number of days I leave them in there? I def don't want any to explode if they happen to have been infertile

Today is day 20 for my second batch of EE's. When I looked earlier I had small pip in one Olive Egg. I'll keep you posted! For some reason my temp dropped a bit on lockdown so I've been fighting with that.

Quote:

Ugh that long seriously!!!? Ugh idk if my heart can take much more lol so I should let them sit? What's the max number of days I leave them in there? I def don't want any to explode if they happen to have been infertile

They'll only explode if they're infected with bacteria from what I understand. You can usually see the first albumen layer seeping out and they smell.

Back
Top Bottom