Filling the incubator 6-3-2011 Join me for my 1st attempt?

Quote:
Cayugas
sad.png
I candled them a day before lockdown and they were huge and moving but now it looks like they aren't gunna hatch
hit.gif

I'm sorry
sad.png
. Chin up!! I found this as I know nothing about cayugas.

"The Cayuga duck will more often sit on and hatch her eggs than other domestic breeds of duck.

The average incubation period is 28 days. When using an incubator the temperature should be 99.5 °F at 86% humidity for days 1-25, and 98.5 °F at 94% humidity for days 26-28."

Everything to those specifications?

yes but thats for forced air so mine was at 100.6-101 because its still air.

I do not know if I am going to be setting any more eggs this year. I am up to 41 now and I can not put any more in the coop till I cam butcher out some of the roosters that I already have, but I have to wait till they are big enough to butch out they are only about 2 lbs and that is with the feathers and all. I really need to get a new pen started to put just the roosters in.

Well my EE hatch is over. I think I have figured out the problem with losing eggs right about lockdown. I have used a turner and when I lock down I take it out. I noticed a temp drop after. I think the motor is adding to the heat by a few degrees, killing some of the fully developed babies. Ideas?

Interesting theory and it makes sense. Motors do put off heat so maybe when you take out the turner and put the eggs back in you need to adjust for the lack of the turner motor in the bator. I will let you know if I have the same problem when I take mine out in 15 days.

Quote:
Hmmm they do create more heat but I wouldn't think it should affect Ye actual egg temperature enough to kill them. Which bator are you using?

No but it might lower the temp in the incubator enough that things like shrink wrapping or other problems might occur if the temperature is not adjusted.

Quote:
I noticed the same thing and I think it may have caused some issues with my hatch. Im going to contact my seller and see if I can possibly get another batch cause I candled this morning and no movement/noise in any and todays day 25/24. Im not sure if im gonna use the turner this time around.

Last edited:
The temp went from 99-100 down to 95-96 the next morning after I took out the turner. This is my third hatch using the turner where I had lots of dead fully formed babies in the eggs. I have 2 I helped hatch that are doing ok and 1 I helped that didn't make it. 4-5 others were just dead in the egg.

Quote:
That's exactly what happen to me! I think im going to hand turn my next batch. I thought I caught the temp drop in time but still id rather not have to worry about it...this was my first hatch so it sucks but the sting isn't as bad as I imagine having 2 or 3 flawless hatches and then this. So I guess im a little smarter this time around and well see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom