filthy eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jfishfam, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My son's chickens make such a mess of their eggs. Our chicken run is muddy and it seems inevitable to have the eggs covered with mud. But does anybody have any suggestions? He tries to keep straw in their nest boxes, but they kick it out. Do you think putting a layer of sand over the mud in the run would help?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It would probably help alot! But use ALOT of sand, if you can.....Like three inches at least.......

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    This year has been one of the wettest in history for us... UGH!!! So I have been dealing with this a lot the last few months. I am going to go get some straw bales to put down in the runs for now I think. It is just days before Christmas and it is still warm (40's) and rainy...very unusual. I would suspect that soon we will get a good freeze and my problem will be temporarily solved. I dig out my runs each spring and put fresh sand down... I don't want to do it now because come spring and the thaw and rain I will just have to do it again.... at least the staw cuts down on muddy feet and eggs [​IMG]

4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I have plastic nest pads, they fit into the bottom of the nest, and that keeps my eggs clean. Muddy feet however - I guess they'd just take the mud into the nest! (Maybe you could make them walk thru a foot bath?!!) Sorry, I can't comprehend your mud problem - here in S. Florida, we only have sand, and it doesn't turn to mud.

5. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    This is all helpful. I als wonder if sand will help with drainage? I jut have to convince my husband to get a load or two of sand:rolleyes:

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I use sand in the area next to the coop that can get muddy. I also place nest boxes at the far end of the coop from the pop door. That way, if their feet are muddy, some of it comes off on the way to the nest box. I think it helps keep the eggs cleaner.

7. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    Wood shavings in nest boxes seem to help keep eggs clean more than hay.

8. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I also have a muddy run and muddy feet chickens..my run is on a serious slope on the top and going down a ridge.. I have covered the run. That helps and keeping hay in the run..other then that I just spot clean the eggs. Sand would be awesome!

9. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    We got a load of sand yesterday, but will have to wait until the first of the year to get it all spread:( I hope that helps. Thanks everybody:yiipchick

10. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by