Final Pathology Report Results

Quote:
I never thought that you were.
smile.png
All we can do is all we can do. A flock can be MG-negative one week and positive the next, depending on what happened between the first week and the second. All I know is that, so far, birds from my flocks sold to NPIP flocks (yes, they've bought from me, a non-NPIP person) and tested for MG have always tested negative immediately after leaving my place. That may not always be the case. We have only so much control over germs.

I really think it's possible that commercial operations are more susceptible than backyard flocks to disease raging through their monocultures, crammed in so tightly as they usually are. A wild bird flies in through those huge sliding doors on the end of the warehouse building, is lost among all the caged birds, infects them, disease rushes through the entire building, etc. You see what I mean here. Unless a sick wild bird dies in one of my pens or is eaten or mauled by my on-range flock, I seriously doubt that my birds will be infected with MG through wild birds. Possible, yes. Probable, no. The more likely scenario would be if I bought a carrier bird from someone and though I observed proper quarantine procedures, it still infected my flock upon integration. That's why I never buy started birds, not even chicks, from individuals, to lessen the chance of that happening. Nothing is perfect, of course, and I hope I never have to deal with it. If I do, however, it won't be because I was lax in my disease prevention, as I'm sure you would agree, knowing me as most of you do.

Speckledhen: What do you think of the chances of my birds giving the wild birds MG and thus passing it on to someone else's healthy flock? I believe that is the only route of transmission I couldn't control. Is it a serious risk?

Traci

Traci, that's hard to say. Anything is possible, I suppose. Unless you have wild birds inside your coops eating alongside your flock, I'd say the risk is minimal, but that's just my gut feeling. I can't say anything for certain.

Quote:
I never thought that you were.
smile.png
All we can do is all we can do. A flock can be MG-negative one week and positive the next, depending on what happened between the first week and the second. All I know is that, so far, birds from my flocks sold to NPIP flocks (yes, they've bought from me, a non-NPIP person) and tested for MG have always tested negative immediately after leaving my place. That may not always be the case. We have only so much control over germs.

I really think it's possible that commercial operations are more susceptible than backyard flocks to disease raging through their monocultures, crammed in so tightly as they usually are. A wild bird flies in through those huge sliding doors on the end of the warehouse building, is lost among all the caged birds, infects them, disease rushes through the entire building, etc. You see what I mean here. Unless a sick wild bird dies in one of my pens or is eaten or mauled by my on-range flock, I seriously doubt that my birds will be infected with MG through wild birds. Possible, yes. Probable, no. The more likely scenario would be if I bought a carrier bird from someone and though I observed proper quarantine procedures, it still infected my flock upon integration. That's why I never buy started birds, not even chicks, from individuals, to lessen the chance of that happening. Nothing is perfect, of course, and I hope I never have to deal with it. If I do, however, it won't be because I was lax in my disease prevention, as I'm sure you would agree, knowing me as most of you do.

Very well said
wink.png
Sometimes, I know what I mean, but putting it into the proper wording doesn't turn out right for me sometimes. Your right, we can only do the best for our birds that we can for their best chances. I try to keep wild birds at a distance, the best I can anyway. I do have two small flowering trees in the front of my house, but haven't seen any birds attracted to them. But, there are several flowering trees and plants that wild birds are attracted to. I didn't even know that until I was going to plant another small tree for shade on one of my coops, and the description of the flowering trees said that they attract birds. I thought OH NO! I'll figure out something else.

I really think if we could find some affordable shade clothe, that would protect our birds alot.

I have always been NPIP certified, but I started college and I forgot to have them come back out. I think I'll ask them if they have been testing for MG when they come back out. Is that a requested test?

No. I asked about that. They don't test for MG, they test for two kinds of pullorum. If you have a bird die though, they will do a necropsy at no charge to you and that would give you a lot of results.

Traci

I think you have to request testing for MG, but that test is quarterly, I believe, rather than yearly. That is most likely why hatcheries don't become certified MG free, due to the cost of all the extra testing that must be done.

Another *infected* flock keeper here
frow.gif

One of my Marjorie Best silkie chicks started sneezing after I kept the hatchery chicks in the brooder until I could stick them under my broody. Well, she spread it to the rest of the brooder babies, and then one of the hatchery chicks suddenly died. A few days later two of my hens start showing terrible symptoms OVERNIGHT. Sneezing, coughing, congestion, rales, no discharge. They were isolated and eeeveryone was put on duramycin. They got better but by then another hen got a bubbly eye/puffy face/slight sneeze and by broody's chicks started sneezing. Once everyone had it I just put everyone back in the coop so I could treat everyone in the same place.

I'm currently waiting for my Denagard to arrive, but my hens are no longer displaying symptoms...now it's just the chicks
sad.png
. I will not be culling because I keep a very small, very closed flock and risk of spread is minimal, and these are my pets. I'll be using Oxine and Denagard as treatment and preventative for awhile.

I still need to have someone necropsied before I can be sure, but I'm fairly sure it's MG. Just wanted to let you know there's someone in a similar situation
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Unless you have your entire flock tested, and cleared, you can not say your flock is MG free. Just the bio security measures alone that one has to follow with a healthy flock is demanding, and just as important for the breeder, commercial hatchery, and for the backyard pet flock. And what about the shows? Think of all the disease your flock could be exposed to there, other birds, people attending the show, and your birds will already be stressed from traveling to the show. Breeders who show their birds, command much higher prices for their eggs, chicks and started pairs, and rightfully so. They invest a great deal of time, effort, and money into their flock. There are no easy answers here. Do you require everyone who keeps birds of any type, any quanity, to be tested for any contagious disease which there is no control or cure for, that can wipe out an entire flock? Then what, have all those birds in that flock destroyed?

Quote:
Well stated and I agree 100%.

But that said- the best part of the chicken community-the shows-having all your hard work acknowledged-meeting new people with the same interests-talking chickens-loaning out/trading out Roos & Hens for breeding-working on endangered breeds-hatching out your own chicks-buying hatching eggs, chicks and started pairs when trying to establish your own flock, improve type and obtain a new color-all that ends with a closed flock.
hit.gif

What I am trying to say/ask, and not well, is, closing the flock, should be to what extent-yes-do not sell any birds or eggs, do not trade or loan birds, and cull any birds who are sick, but-after some time has passed, and you have not had any sick birds, can you not start to build up your flock again, and re-open your flock?

Let me use this example. When my son was born, I used every measure I could to keep him germ free and healthy(I am a clean freak). He never had a cold/anything from birth until he turned 3 years old, and I had to send him to school. He then came home every week with every kind of illness you can name. His doctor told me I kept his enviroment too sterile, and his immunity has not been exposed to many of the germs he is now coming in contact with, and all at once. It was going to take awhile for him to be exposed and allow his body to learn to deal with these germs.

I am wondering then, if it is not the same with chickens. The already weak ones(think of all the things that could be wrong with a chicken, that you can not see, that could make them weak, birth defects, inbreeding, undeveloped organs, twisted intestines, ect) when stressed(many stress factors too) will become sick, and more then likely die when exposed to disease or illness. The ones who are healthy and strong, when exposed to disease, illness or stress will be able to deal with it. So,the ones who remain, should not be culled, or placed in a closed flock, because they are the strong, healthy ones. And any healthy chicken can be a carrier, that does not mean we kill them all. There would be none left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom