Final Results - Jumbo Cornish Cross from McMurray Hatchery

Is there any meat birds out there that grow at a similar rate to the cornish cross that can also be bred? Its my understanding that the Cornish Cross cant be replicated becasue they themselves are the result of a Cross.

MissPrissy, this sounds VERY interesting! I think we'll give the fall meatie raising a try. We've only done Freedom Rangers or DR because we don't have a long spring really without freezing weather before we get too hot for Cx. We get a few Cx for the kids for fair showing and 4H and they are just such a pain to deal with, they stink horribly and it's so hard on them.

Seems like if we get them in late September/early October (oh boy, right around human baby time), they'd be fully feathered come any real horrid freezing temps, so they'd be fine outside.

Is there any meat birds out there that grow at a similar rate to the cornish cross that can also be bred? Its my understanding that the Cornish Cross cant be replicated becasue they themselves are the result of a Cross.

Thank you for this extremely informative thread! I've always been afraid to try true meat birds instead opting for discount roosters of heavy breeds. I just had two questions that I couldn't find answered in the pages:

1) Do you think that the "chick adoption" technique with a broody hen would be acceptable to rear jumbo cornish?

2) (This one is probably a really dumb question..) How do you think the economics work out between the option of all heavy males at ~$1 apiece v. jumbo cornish at ~$2 apiece and the quality/quantity of meat produced?

3) Vaccinations?

Thank you in advance--this is a great discussion!

1) Yup, done all the time. 2) One can purchase a Cornish X for much less than $2, just shop around. I find that I can raise the CX for much less than any other bird out there. The CX is the most feed to meat converter of all chickendom. Also, time is money and one's labor has it's costs ... One can process the CX at 35 days for a 1-1 1/2 lb game hen, at 6 weeks for a 4+ lb frier, or 8 weeks for 6-8 lb roaster, or 10-12 weeks for 10-14 lb roaster. While it will take one 18-24 weeks and about twice the commercial feed to get a 4-6 lb carcass for a DP. Then too, it is much cheaper to house a processed chicken in the freezer than feed a live one for quite a few extra weeks. 3) One can process the CX at such an early age that there is little need to vaccinate them. One will need to educate, understand, and follow the proper protocol for management and the rewards will be great. As the old Scottish proverg goes... " The eye of the master fattens the cattle". Good luck !!!

Thanks everyone for resurrecting this thread.

I have 25 CCx coming May 1st from Whelp. They will be brooded in my barn for 2-3 weeks, then put out in tractors. I will do another 25 in the fall. I process myself and can usually get 25 done in a week-end. I hope to get my Whizbang built this summer. If so, then I will order more. Right now I use a plucker made of PVC pipe endcap with 'fingers' made of rubber bungee cords. It fits onto my drill and can pluck a bird in about 2 minutes. a little more labor intensive than a Whizang, but at 7.00 to make, well worth it.

Quote:
There are a number of folks trying to breed a bird that grows big, and that fast, with some success. My buddy and fellow BYC Okie Al6517 is on a fourth generation using the genetics from the Cornish X. Jeff Brunty is working on a similar project.

But you are correct, CX will not breed true.

Back
Top Bottom