1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally Culled One

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HennyPennies2007, Dec 2, 2008.

1. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Well I finally culled my first chicken. A deleware pullet. She wasn't doing so hot and has been going downhill. Went to Home Depot over the weekend and made hubby buy me a hatchet. This morning she wasn't any better so I sucked it up and did it. It was weird, but I know I did the right thing.

P.S. Thanks to PurpleChicken for making it seem not so scary.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    I had to cull one of the little ones, I found out I am a lousy chicken killer. After a couple of false starts I got the job done. The cat volunteered to help me but I figured I had to do it myself.

3. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    It is a little surreal at first. Good job!

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

GREAT job !! it is hard the first time,, but it does get a little easier each time. as long as you tell yaself, " im doing this for this poor bird, so he/she doesnt have to suffer, and i dont have to watch it widdle away till it dies"

im proud of anyone that finally does the needed "deed" [​IMG]

5. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    So since we are on this topic.... where do you find a killing cone? Or do you just make those?

6. the1much

you can either make 1 out of just about any flimsy metal,, or hatcheries and supply houses have them,, like ideal ,, ive seen them, but not to really look at,, i have no idea their cost.

7. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    If a killing cone is the thing you put the chicken in to chop off it's head then I've seen one made out of a milk jug. They just cut the bottom out of it, turned it upside down and then cut the "top" to the size opening they needed. He had his nailed to a post.

8. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    How do you decapitate them if you use a cone?

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    If the time ever comes that will be the only thing I will insist my hubby do. I couldn't do it. [​IMG] I want to be away from the area and the chicken gone or buried before I return. My chickens are all very special to me.

10. the1much

knife ,,,, but you dont have to cut their heads off,, you just slice their neck,, at the artery,,, but if your like me,, a sharp knife dont stop,, so i end up cutting all the way through,, but with more practice,, i should be able to "get the feel" and not go all the way,, just slice their necks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by