FINALLY - EGGS :)

cmedeiros17

Chirping
7 Years
May 17, 2012
My husband and I got some chickens in May - they were already about 5 weeks old then, so I figured we should have had some eggs already. We have patiently been waiting. Thursday - I had a really horrible day. But I came home and went to check on the chickens as usual and to my surprise noticed that my "decoy" eggs had been kicked out of one of the nest boxes. I started digging around and found a small white egg!!!! I started screaming I was so happy lol. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy HAHA. Hubby and I cooked it up and split it. I was amazed at how hard the shell was and the color of the yolk. The flavor was great too. My first time having a backyard chicken egg. :) Friday afternoon there was another egg!!! And then Saturday when I was cleaning the coop two of the chickens kept coming in and yelling at me. I had a feeling they were going to lay, but they didnt' like me being around. So I gave them their privacy and went back out after I noticed them back in the run. Two warm eggs :) So far the eggs have only been white- so I know they are from my leghorns. The other two breeds I have are supposed to lay brown eggs (Buff Orpingtons and Silver Laced Wyndottes). Can't wait for them to start laying :)

The one on the scale was my very first egg. The others in the egg carton were the ones from Friday and Saturday. Sunday I didnt get any........but I know that when they start laying they can be sporadic. Though, I am hoping to find one today!!! I love finding them :)

That's so cool > my hens just started laying themselves, when I saw the first egg I closed the coop and did like a double take! when I found out it was real I was so excited! I've only gotten two sense. I'm just itching to find another one!

Yes- its so exciting to find them!!!!
woot.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom