Finally found a safe way to keep wild birds out of duck feed!

glll

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have FINALLY come across an idea that works perfectly to keep wild birds from eating all of my ducks' food! I have an abundance of wild birds that love to finish the feed before the ducks even get a chance to eat. I was going to buy an automatic feeder (treadle feeder) but since I only have the two ducks, I was worried if one were to step on it and the other was eating from the side, if the one duck stepped off of the lever it would close on the other duck's head. So I finally had a lightbulb moment when walking through a home depot, a bin with a flappy lid! The birds have no space to land on while eating and are too short to stick their heads in like the ducks. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this before but I have been searching the internet for months trying to find a solution, this was my best bet. Hopefully this can potentially help anyone that may be facing the same problem. Attached is a video of the ducks after they were trained to eat and eliminated their fear of the flappy lid.

I have FINALLY come across an idea that works perfectly to keep wild birds from eating all of my ducks' food! I have an abundance of wild birds that love to finish the feed before the ducks even get a chance to eat. I was going to buy an automatic feeder (treadle feeder) but since I only have the two ducks, I was worried if one were to step on it and the other was eating from the side, if the one duck stepped off of the lever it would close on the other duck's head. So I finally had a lightbulb moment when walking through a home depot, a bin with a flappy lid! The birds have no space to land on while eating and are too short to stick their heads in like the ducks. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this before but I have been searching the internet for months trying to find a solution, this was my best bet. Hopefully this can potentially help anyone that may be facing the same problem. Attached is a video of the ducks after they were trained to eat and eliminated their fear of the flappy lid.

How did you make it so they weren’t scared of the lid?

Back
Top Bottom