1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally found the eggs! and not anymore~!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamagardener, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I have 8 chickens, one of which has been laying since the beginning of August. We were getting 2 or 3 a day in the nestbox. Two of our Cinnamon Queens were laying everyday, and the other one and the EE's weren't.

Well today I let all of them outside. About a half hour later I noticed two were missing. I realized they must be laying somewhere, and sure enough in a nice little area in front of the house behind some hosta plants, was a laying chicken and one waiting to lay. When they moved I counted 18 eggs. I was so excited, here I was beginning to think some of them would never lay. Now I just have to work on getting them to lay in the coop in one of the 6 nestboxes we have.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Holy Easter Egg Hunt Batman!

Glad you found their stash, and I'm sure you'll be able to get them to relocate their efforts [​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    How eggciting! Glad you found it. HOpefully you can get them to lay in the nesting box with no problems!

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    And I was excited about one [​IMG] Hopefully they will figure the nest boxes out soon.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    They sure did not make it easy for you!! Glad they are laying.....[​IMG]

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Now can you come over and find where ours are laying?

7. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    Perhaps a trip to New Jersey to help me find mine too!![​IMG]

8. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I moved those first eggs, and now they are laying somewhere else. I am trying to find them, I even kept the chickens in the coop until about 11 a.m. . The same 2 are laying in the nestbox, and heaven knows where the other 6 are laying. Any ideas on what to do?

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Maybe keep them in the coop and run, and not let them free range for a week; until they get the idea. [​IMG]

10. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    And back to your Columbo work, following them around until they give up the new hiding place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by