Finally! My coop is just about done!

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Well the important parts. We still have some extra details to add. I designed the coop and my husband built it. They stayed in it last night, that was pretty comical. I had to physically get them into the coop and then as I am walking away I can tell they are exiting the coop (no door). I turn around and they are leaping off the top of the ramp. It was funny, almost like special ops or something.

Here are a couple pictures. I will be either painting or staining the plywood. We got all the plywood for free! We haven't finished the nesting boxes, but they are still a bit away from laying, anyhow.

Very nice coop/ run. I know you are thrilled to be near the finish line with the construction.

We are now building a second coop, sort of a smaller version of the 8 x 8 coop we already have built.
this second coop will stay in the same chook yard and eventually it will end up being the broody house, according to my wife.

We are also now going to have two areas of fenced in yard for the chooks when we are away from the homestead.
A smallish area complete with screen roof which will be inside the larger, no roofing area. We are using a double fence since we now know we have roaming feral dogs along with the pack of coyotes to deal with.

Looks great! cant wait to get my hardware cloth should be here friday. Also I love your window I need to add more to my chicken cave.... then it will be a chicken mansion lol!

Looks great! cant wait to get my hardware cloth should be here friday. Also I love your window I need to add more to my chicken cave.... then it will be a chicken mansion lol!

I don't know if you have a Lowes near you, but that window was only $41 and they had a 24"x24" for $38 ... very cheap compared to Home Depot!

Very nice coop/ run. I know you are thrilled to be near the finish line with the construction.

We are now building a second coop, sort of a smaller version of the 8 x 8 coop we already have built.
this second coop will stay in the same chook yard and eventually it will end up being the broody house, according to my wife.

We are also now going to have two areas of fenced in yard for the chooks when we are away from the homestead.
A smallish area complete with screen roof which will be inside the larger, no roofing area. We are using a double fence since we now know we have roaming feral dogs along with the pack of coyotes to deal with.

The work is never done with chickens! lol

Mine is still definitely a work in progress!

Wow! HOW did you get the plywood for free?! Thats a huge savings!! It looks great. How many chickens do you have?

My husband is in construction, so the labor foreman or whoever on the jobs would donate it. The floor to the coop is made of a special plywood board that has a hard gloss finish. It is used to form concrete walls and when you pull them off the concrete is shiny. Even though it was a huge savings this coop still costed around 600-700 :(

Right now I have 16 that are about 2 months old. I am only keeping 8. They are growing fast and it will be time to rehome them soon. I am raising 4 for my neighbor, but he doesn't seem interested in taking them anymore.

Thank you, the price is still going to fluctuate. We are roofing it and I have to get some roost bars, a waterer, and a bigger thing for food. I am pretty happy with it though. I will post more pictures when it is complete!

Back
Top Bottom