finally my original 3 hens are laying, but there's 2 problems...help plz

boats317

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Desoto, Mo
We are so excited that our RIR and Black Astrolorp (sp?) are now into about 1 month of laying...they both share the same nesting box (out of 4) ok fine no biggie. But our Blue Lace Wyandotte just started laying yesterday YAY, but she's laying in the middle of the run kind of under the coop.

Will she follow suit and learn to lay in the boxes? or do i need to do something here? the egg wasnt harmed by anyone by pure luck.

my other question is, i think its from our RIR, the eggshell seems normal, but when we crack it too use, the "membrane" not sure what its called is really tough, as in i could peal the whole shell off and still have an intact egg, once i rip that open it seems like a fine normal egg....any thoughts on that as well?

thanks,
Brian

Golf balls in the boxes helped us. My girls started laying in the bushes where we couldn't find them. (My dogs found them just fine) The golf balls got them to lay inside.

I'm not sure about the membrane thing, sorry. Good luck

Yes, she will find the nest boxes in time. Sometimes the first few eggs surprise them and they don't make it back in time.

The membrane will naturally be stronger, it's the sign of a fresh egg.

Back
Top Bottom