FINALLY some good news!

MamaBirds_Quail

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
7B2CF6DA-15D4-45BB-9BD9-43FD6F798ABF.jpeg

It seems now ALL THREE of my hens are laying! Am I correct to assume that each similar shape/patterned egg belongs to the same hen? If so… are the two barely speckled ones celadons?!?

Y’all, the odds of that are beyond wild! Of 29 live birds, only SIX have survived our various traumas of the fall/winter and somehow one of those birds is spitting out pretty pale blue eggs? Nature has a sense of humor, that’s for sure!

I have 4 fertile/developing eggs from the same hen who laid the top pair (I believe it’s my pearl hen) in the incubator to try and correct my 1:1 gender ratio (😂 $20 they’re all roos!) but the heavy speckles and the blue eggs are new and come from either my Tibetan tuxedo, or my solid scarlett hen, if they keep laying consistently I may do a clutch of theirs in a month or so, just to see what we get.

So glad everyone’s feeling safe and happy enough to lay again finally! 🥰

Congratulations! It does look like three distinct patterns. Unfortunately, the lightly speckled ones are not celadons. Celadon eggs are actually a pale blue.
I guess I’m confused then… what are blue eggs that are not celadon? Do they have to be a certain shade of blue?

My recollection of posting my last light blue eggs (the ones these birds hatched from) was being told that celadons lack speckling, so my birds likely came from birds that carry one copy of the gene; which then at least makes it plausible that some of them may have gotten the gene from both parents, correct? Or do both parents need to themselves be homozygous to create a hen that will lay celadon? Cleary I’m missing something 😅 and the internet is no help, it’s riddled with pictures of eggs like these labeled celadon.

I guess I’m confused then… what are blue eggs that are not celadon? Do they have to be a certain shade of blue?

My recollection of posting my last light blue eggs (the ones these birds hatched from) was being told that celadons lack speckling, so my birds likely came from birds that carry one copy of the gene; which then at least makes it plausible that some of them may have gotten the gene from both parents, correct? Or do both parents need to themselves be homozygous to create a hen that will lay celadon? Cleary I’m missing something 😅 and the internet is no help, it’s riddled with pictures of eggs like these labeled celadon.
Celadon eggs can have some light speckles. The picture looks like they're tan, not blue, though. I have had lightly speckled tân eggs so I thought yours were the same.

Celadon eggs can have some light speckles. The picture looks like they're tan, not blue, though. I have had lightly speckled tân eggs so I thought yours were the same.
Oh gotcha! Sorry, apparently I got logged out and didn’t get notifications, I tried to take some better photos, these eggs I’m getting are certainly a pale blue, but they’re visually blue especially next to the greener and more tan ones I get.
234FBC24-6BB8-403B-983C-D286FB180397.jpeg

055FB6EC-3553-4CD9-902B-CE2F029F1BDD.jpeg

The ones in my hand I’m not convinced are from the same hen since I collected them the same day, but the one closer to my fingers is definitely from the same hen as the first one I posted (whoever she is!)

Unfortunately my hens are: Pearl fee, Scarlett, and Tibetan tuxedo… which would be easy to tell at hatch who laid what except that my roos are: Pearl fee, scarlett, and a falb fee 😂

Maybe someday someone will poop out an egg while I’m at the pen 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom