Finally started my coop!

Little update- most of the coop is constructed, this picture doesn't have a roof, but we just put one on. I do not recommend making rounded roofs!

Attachments

• IMG_20180610_155720384.jpg
    IMG_20180610_155720384.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Yeah, I'd like to put something down to protect the roofing paper.
Absolutely roofing paper(tar paper) should be covered.
You'd be better off using rolled roofing with tarred seams than shingles.
Shingles are meant to work on a flat surface, they won't seal properly on a curve that small and the edges would stick up and maybe get caught by wind and damaged.

Cheap single thickness shingles are super flexible in 90+ temperatures. The only thing I've seen is the nailing schedule changes as you go past 12/12 pitch IIRC you add 2 or 3 more nails to the shingle.

I think a hobbit house should have a toadstool roof like a big umbrella over the house which would be easy to shingle and provide great shade.

If you have a real old time lumber yard ask them if they have any starter shingles. They usually give them away free and they will be random colors. Starter shingles are the first row with the tabs cut off so you have the tar strip for the first course of shingles.

JT

These are great suggestions, thanks! Mismatched shingles would be perfect for the aesthetic. I was wondering about the starter shingles, I've seen some cheaper ones on eBay.

Just to throw it out there, I've also though about doing a shallow (1" deep) living roof. That it a whole other project though and I don't know if that would just invite rot or leaks.

Here is the roofed coop.

Attachments

• chicken coop.jpg
    chicken coop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Just to throw it out there, I've also though about doing a shallow (1" deep) living roof. That it a whole other project though and I don't know if that would just invite rot or leaks.
Soil would probably need to be deeper than 1" to sustain the plant roots which would hold the soil. EDPM pond liner(same as rubber roofing, but without the fungicides) under soil would keep water from ruining the rest of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom