Finally starting my walk in coop. Want to follow?

Pics
Almost all the plywood roofing done today.

Son in law up top, grandson below
20190623_135715.jpg

That gap isn't ventilation and will be covered. Ventilation is above it under the roof.
20190623_155044.jpg

Didn't get the last 2 panels in place. Get that done tomorrow, not gonna rain till tomorrow night. 20190623_155059.jpg

We're getting there. 20190623_155129.jpg

Last edited:
Chris (son in law) is having a ball building this. I'm very worried about his back but he is like a pig in poop he's enjoying so much. He just HAD to start the poop board even though he knows he has to take it back out so I can paint!

You can just see the poop board corner through the doorway. 20190627_151904.jpg

See a bit of the window on the right. This is 7 feet long straight, starting from the window wall. Then an additional 5 ft.runs along the back wall but connected to the first board so that also runs 7 feet long. 32 inches off the floor. Dog cage can fit under open end. When needed (like when I lock them in for the first week to learn this is their home) food and water can hang under the middle of the closed side. Pop door will be to the right of the feeders.
20190627_151929.jpg

The corner piece of wall with a small paper tag is where the pop door is going. Look closely you'll see there is no HC
there.
20190627_151956.jpg

This part is where I have been imagining the 3 nests. 18 inches off the floor, 12x12x14 with a slanted roof.
20190627_152019.jpg

Then again, maybe nests should go against this wall in the right corner where the boards are standing. The second window will be on the upper wall just above where the framed out window is sitting on the floor.
20190627_152100.jpg

Any suggestions?

No suggestions from me, but . . . Cryss, this is so beautiful!
:lovethank you!
I started with chickens so poorly. 6 months in I started to panic trying so many temporary solutions. My son in law agreed to help me. He used to be in construction but he developed physical problems making him unable to continue. But he has missed doing it. So I have benefited. I really can't believe he's building something so perfect! I was just going to bang together pallets. Chris took over, started by using my pallets, then using scraps, then there just was no stopping him! He does everything according to my specifications cuz he doesn't know chickens. I let him do the structure stuff. I don't understand how to keep a building from collapsing in a breeze.:lau
I'm feeling so blessed.

For the nest boxes I would suggest exterior access.
I've thought about that. I actually designed it in my head with the intent to do it. I changed my mind after thinking that this creates another entry for critters possibly the easiest one. My nests inside will not take up floor space as they will be 18 inches above the floor.
Bern prefers the nests be against the back wall. Guess we'll go with that.

I've thought about that. I actually designed it in my head with the intent to do it. I changed my mind after thinking that this creates another entry for critters possibly the easiest one. My nests inside will not take up floor space as they will be 18 inches above the floor.
Bern prefers the nests be against the back wall. Guess we'll go with that.
Sounds good. Will you put the nest boxes under the poop board?

Back
Top Bottom