FINALLY! SWOLLEN EYE SINUS LUMP SWELLING CURE TREATMENT

thumbsup.gif
definitely a good one to bookmark!

Here is a culture and sensitivity report that a friend shared with me:

and like @echix , there was more than one bacteria, and as you can see from the picture, very few drugs would treat both.

FABULOUS thread here!! Many years ago I had a hen that started to get hazy eyes. I had no idea what or how this bird turned up with what ever she had. This did not appear to be cateracts but rather a slow hazing of each pupil. I could tell the hen was loosing her sight. I took a chance and purchased the same type of tiny bottle of Ciprofloxicin eye drops from First State Vet. It took nine days of dosing each eye with 2 or 3 drops (I cant remember now) but she healed completely!! I HIGHLY recommend this med for eye infections and yes, sinus infections too!!

Wonderful thread!! :)

I'm not a hen BUT, I got a stick in the eye minor injury - but, eyes tend to hurt much more than the wound would suggest. The doctor decided to try something new on me. She put Cipro drops in and bandaged the entire eye. Then sent me to my pharmacy with a prescription for Cipro. In the half hour it took to get to pharmacy, I was telling the Pharmacist my eye was itching me terribly, no response from him.

Got home and took off eye patch as doctor had directed me to do and saw how badly my eye was swollen. I called and the Dr. answering service got the message to her. When she called me I told her what was going on. She said the drops she had put in were probably sufficient - not to use any more Cipro and just leave the eye alone.

She said she could have used a different med but wanted to try out the new Cipro. Great. I got to be her guinea pig. Afterwards the eye healed uneventfully but, I'll never forget the horrible itching and discomfort it caused. Since that time I had made sure all my doctors and dentist know I am allergic to Cipro.

It scares me to think what would have happened if I had taken Cipro orally for some other problem.

I just mention all this because I'm sure some chickens could be allergic to it also. I'm sure others may disagree with me but, I prefer a doctor take a more conservative approach and first tries an old familiar antibiotic instead of starting with the BIG guns and letting patients deal with the aftermath.

Years ago we had to take a week old puppy to the vet, he said it had pneumonia and gave it a penicillin shot. By the time we hit the main road, the puppy was unresponsive and we rushed back to the vet. Turned out the pup was allergic to penicillin - who knew??? If the vet had suggested we stay in the waiting room for 10-15 minutes we wouldn't have had to rush back with our hearts in our mouths. He ended up dying a short time later.

I guess what I am trying to bring out, if your chickens, dogs, cats, kids, get an injection or some new antibiotic please observe them for awhile to see that they don't go into shock, etc.
Much better to err on the side of caution than find discover a tragedy later. Off my soap box.
duc.gif

Quote: The most Baytril I have even given is 20 mg/kg per day, which for a five pound bird works out to 45 mg per day.

The most common dose that people have said their vets prescribed is 10 mg/kg twice a day, which is for a five pound bird is 22.7 mg twice a day. Does that make sense?

The Cipro dose is something I'm still searching.

Or are the 500 mg tabs Cipro?

Yesiree, the 500mg tabs are Cipro (the enrofloxacin tabs I found were 10 mg)--- and YES I would LOVE to know how to make that Cipro suspension, I've got my mortar and pestle ready and I'll track down some of that sweet stuff asap :)

That table you posted with antibiotic sensitivities to E. Coli is awesome, really makes you wonder why anyone even tries to treat this kind of stuff with penicillin, tetracyclines or tylosin? That E. coli is one bad player.

Last edited:

Or are the 500 mg tabs Cipro?

​Yesiree, the 500mg tabs are Cipro  (the enrofloxacin tabs I found were 10 mg)--- and YES I would LOVE to know how to make that Cipro suspension, I've got my mortar and pestle ready and I'll track down some of that sweet stuff asap :)

That table you posted with antibiotic sensitivities to E. Coli is awesome, really makes you wonder why anyone even tries to treat this kind of stuff with penicillin, tetracyclines or tylosin?  That E. coli is one bad player.

If you want to save money, you could buy a gram scale, weigh the pill, and calculated the number of mg per gram, then dose the proper amount in a little distilled water. Should be distilled because I think the Cipro will bind with minerals in the water.

Back
Top Bottom