Finally, well actually it is still a little early....

knightgang

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
Southeast, GA
Late last summer, we inherited 7 chickens, 1 rooster and 6 hens. The move caused them to go into molt and it took almost 2 months before we started getting eggs. When they finally started laying, I guess I got chicken fever... and just after Thanksgiving we picked up 19 new hatchlings. 8 Black Sex Links - 9 Golden Comets and 2 RIR. Some are a week older than the others, but they are close together.

Yesterday, the oldest ones reached 17 weeks and we got our first egg. It was around the size of a medium egg and seemed more pinkish in color than the brown/tan egs we are used to from our older girls.

Last week on two different days, we got eggs out of their coop, (2 on one day and 1 about 4 days later) but I don't think they were form our pullets. I let both the older and younger birds free range in the yard together and I think one of my hens used the pullets coop to lay some eggs. I say this because those eggs were normal size and color and we collected them just prior to them turning 16 weeks old. I suspect it was one of our older hens as I saw her up in their coop around the nesting boxes this past Sunday when they were all supposed to be out free ranging. I did not know that hens would use a nesting box that they were not accustomed to, however both of my coops are identical in design and build.

Right now, I have my 7 adults in one coop and 19 pullets in the other. I want to even out the numbers between the coops and take one adult hen that gets too much attention from the rooster and get her away from him. Now that they are close to laying should I make the moves now or wait until everyone in laying in another month... I don't want to start getting eggs then have the shakeup cause them to go into molt and not get any eggs for 1-2 months. Or is there a chance that it will not really cause problems since they free range together and have already been interacting.

My large breeds will occasionally go in my bantam coop to lay eggs, so that's normal. I don't think you will have any luck trying to make hens stay in another coop without locking them in it for months, they will always return to what they are familiar with, and will want to be with those they grew up with.

I figured I that when I started moving them around, that I would keep them in their coops for about a week before letting them out to range hoping that then the ones that changed coops will understand that the new coop is the night time home.

I have new chicks coming, so in about 2 months, I have to move all of my existing flock to one coop anyway because the small ones will need a coop to themselves. I hope this moving between coops does not create to much disruption for them.

The time table of keeping chickens in a coop for a week only works when you are totally relocating them to a different property, once they free range they will continue to return to their old coop. I would look to add the new ones to the older group, or else plan to close off one coop so they can't get into it. I have done what you are trying to do, it took me months before they would stay put.

Yeah, when the next batch of pullets go out to the coop (they arrive next week) they will be shut in that coop for at least a month or so before free ranging.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would enjoy an update to see how it goes, good luck.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom