1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FINALLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sherry, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I just knew I was going to be the last one. But...I got my first egg today!!!
    It's about half the size of a "normal" one.
    I couldn't be more proud than if I'd laid it myself![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats, Sherry! I have seven girls laying cute little shiny eggs just like that one and am waiting on three more to start. My first flock started by laying regular sized eggs for some unknown reason, so this is my first experience with teensy eggs like that. It's alot of fun, isn't it?

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    one of my six new girls laid her first egg this A.M.

It was my white leghorn "Lucy"
    Very small, very white egg.[​IMG]

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    ok ok ok you lucky buggars! rub it in then! LOL
    So how old are these wonder chickens? Im beginning to think i need to give my chickens some lessons, maybe play a little barry mannilow, feed them some oysters or sumptin! Still they are only 11 weeks old maybe i just need to be more patient:p

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, try Barry White instead! One of mine started at 18 weeks and surprised the heck out of me. She's one of my accidental crossbreeds from a Cochin/Silkie sire and a Barred Rock mother. The rest followed about two and three weeks later. Still waiting on those few to start, though, and they just turned 23 weeks old. I have a younger group that just turned 12 weeks old, so I'm right there with you in that respect. And in that group, I have two blue Ameraucanas that should lay BLUE eggs, so I'm impatient for that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  6. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    There must have a lot of people with hens around the same age. We got our first two eggs yesterday and one today. We at them with dinner tonight. YUMMY! Don't know who the layer is yet. What fun!

7. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    They were 20 weeks old on Friday. I gave them pep talks every day for the past 2 weeks. Don't know who listened but I'm glad they did!

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG] YIPPY!!! I'm happy for you. I have a while to go. Mine are just 11 weeks old. I think by the time mine start laying it'll get cold and they'll slow down, if not stop all together. I hear RIR lay year round but I don't know.

What age do they usually start laying?

9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hey, Sherry! I have six that turned 21 weeks old on Friday!
    Just started to get eggs last week, but I'm not positive who it is.
    I keep crediting Myrtle (Partrige Rock), mostly because she seems to be living up to her name (Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter fame) since she has been very vocal this past week. The new eggs have all be on the smallish side and tan color.
    Today I got a big one and she is talking up a storm!
    [​IMG]

10. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Quote:I agree but mine are of laying age and I want my eggs from them NOW!!!!!!! I am so tried of waiting.

But to thoses of you that are getting your first eggs congrats to U!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by