finch keeps trying to get in the window?!

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
There's a finch(I think it's an American Gold Finch?) that has been flying up to the same window and sitting there on the side of it. She will tap her beak on the glass by shaking her head back and forth several times, then fly away, then come back, then fly away. It's like she wants to get in. Or maybe she was caught as a baby and tamed by someone, but then got lost and thinks this is her home?
idunno.gif
Anyway, the window is opened now because we want to see if she flies in and is friendly. If not, we will have to catch her and put her back outside. And don't worry; we know how to catch little birds like that. My dad has parakeets and finches and sometimes they start flying around out of their cage when they aren't suppose to, we've learned to catch them without hurting them.

*Ah! The finch is back! She walks along the side of the window, shaking her head and tapping the glass.
hu.gif
What's she doing and what does she want?! I'm sure she knows the window is there, and she can fly and doesn't act injured.

Quote:
the link didn't work but I think I know what your talking about I have seen one before and painted one (I like painting birds). Yellow with black.

OK I think I figured it out. I research some stuff and found that someone was experiencing the same thing. Someone wrote this:
"Goldfinches and many other birds are territorial and when they establish territories in the
spring they become aggressive and chase off intruders. Unfortunately, they don't distinguish between their own reflection in a window (or car mirror) and try to chase that off. The solution to the problem is to eliminate the reflection. Misting the outside of the window with a very weak detergent or soda solution will eliminate the reflection but will also impair visibility for you. Awnings, eave extensions, and window screens will eliminate all reflection and stop the collision problem. Hanging ornaments such as wind chimes, wind socks, and potted plants also help. The behavior will stop when nesting begins."

This sounds right. It is Spring, which is nesting time.
smile.png
She must see her reflection and thinks it's another female bird!
lol.png

I had one doing that to my window and i thought it was beautiful that i bought a finch feeder and hung in front the window and now i have several that come and feed. I just love them. Such bright yellow. The girls are the greenish ones and the boys are the bright yellow. Enjoy

It's a female. I've seen them countless times and yes the male is very bright yellow and female has a greener/browner color to the yellow.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom