Finches Started Laying Eggs Immediately

cereall

Chirping
May 26, 2016
San Luis Obispo County, CA
On Saturday night (the 7th) I brought home 19 zebra finches to live in my 10 ft by 10 ft aviary. Yesterday (the 9th) I was checking the nests I had hanging up to see if they were starting to add material to it. To my surprise there was a nest already built with 9 eggs in it! Definitely not something I expected to see since I'd had them for less than 48 hours. This morning I checked nests again and there were now 10 eggs in the same nest and a single egg in another nest.

There's a gray and fawn pair that have been hanging out around the 10 egg nest and being territorial towards the other birds. The thing is, everywhere I look it says that finches lay 1 or 2 eggs a day with an average clutch size of 4 to 6 so it's physically impossible for the female to have laid all of those in 2 days, therefore the nest has to be the result of multiple birds. My question is do zebra finches ever lay communal nests? Also shouldn't they have been too stressed to lay eggs so soon?

20200310_214609.jpg
20200310_214638.jpg

Zebras are very prolific. It doesn't surprise me at all they they laid so soon. My thought is that two or more hens were laying in the big nest before the pair decided to make it theirs. It's unlikely the hen will be able to cover so many eggs, but you never know. You can either take some of the eggs out or leave them and see what happens.

Before long, your aviary will be bursting at the seams. :wee

Zebras are very prolific. It doesn't surprise me at all they they laid so soon. My thought is that two or more hens were laying in the big nest before the pair decided to make it theirs. It's unlikely the hen will be able to cover so many eggs, but you never know. You can either take some of the eggs out or leave them and see what happens.

Before long, your aviary will be bursting at the seams. :wee
If I took a couple eggs out would that make them abandon the nest?

Back
Top Bottom