Finding a chicken and duck sitter

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
My husband and I would like to go out of town in the future and I'd like to find out how BYCers go about finding a suitable animal sitter for your chickens and ducks. We have no family to speak of within 2 days drive of Seattle and most of our friends either wouldn't want to take care of the animals or don't live close enough.

Is there a good website that has a list of reputable animal sitters who can take care of chickens, ducks, and maybe goats? If not, where should I turn to find someone who I can depend on to take good care of my animals and not rummage through my house when they come inside to feed the cats? I guess it's one thing when you ask a friend to take care of your cats but when it comes to poultry some friends would prefer not to tackle that responsibility. BTW, I'm not looking for someone to take care of my dogs, I would probably board them since they're high maintenance enough when I'm here to care of them.

Thanks-

Gossip! the only good thing about gossip is once in a while people actually get the facts straight! that's how we got house sitters for 2 weeks while we go away starting this Sunday! People (whom we knew) said, "By the way, we heard from so and so that..."

It worked for us, and it sold the last 2 vehicles we needed to sell as well, didn't even have time to advertise, and people were knocking at the door!

Granted, most times gossip doesn't work...
hmm.png
and I don't highly recommend it. Maybe the local 4-H has people ? A youth from school, work, church, etc? Hope you find someone!

Tanya

Vacation? Together? I think I remember that. Last time we went somewhere together was 2003, B.W. (Before Waterfowl)

I agree about the feed store or maybe a neighbor kid with parent's supervision.

Perhaps you could have a trusted friend to come inside your home to tend to the cat, and have someone else to tend the poultry. That way you don't have to worry about a stranger having access to your indoors, and your friends don't have to worry about tending unfamiliar animals.

I usually have a neighbor tend my flock when I'm away, and they can keep all the eggs in exchange for their trouble. I make it really simple for them, cleaning out the coops right before I leave, so all they have to do is refill feeders & water and collect up all the eggs. I haven't gone away since I got ducks, so I guess that's going to make the bird chores that much more complicated.

I also have a friend who keeps chickens, and often we'll watch each other's flocks while the other one is away. Perhaps you could find someone nearby who also keeps poultry & try to work out such a deal.

Quote:
My husband and I want to go to NYC together without the daughters as we rarely get any time to ourselves. We probably won't go until sometime in late Summer next year but it's never too early to plan. We've taken the girls to NYC two times in the past 4 years and I think it would be fun to go just the two of us. I'm taking my mom over Memorial Day 2009 but my husband is staying home to tend to all the animals and the children.

I know the woman who owns one of the local feed stores pretty well so I could ask her definitely. I'll also check into the 4-H option as well.

Maybe look in the Where Am I, Where Are You forum here and see if any members are near you. You have enough ime to stike up a relationship of trust with one or two and maybe one will be perfect for you! and if they are close, you can trade off animal tending and give them a vacation!

The usual less-expensive option is neighbors. Theory being, they're less likely to do a crappy job since they presumably like you and also have to live next to (or near) you in future. It works ok IME as long as you can get a responsible-type person who has Clue One about animals.

The usual more-expensive option is to hire a pet sitter. Look in your local phonebook, ads on bulletinboard at feedstore and grocerystore and in local paper, ask at vet, etc -- pretty much everywhere I've ever lived has SOMEone doing petsitting. You want "bonded and insured". Brace yourself for what it costs, though. Also interview carefully -- I have had good ones and one TOTAL WINGNUT who left the house strewn with what seemed like a haybale's worth of 'fresh catnip from her garden' and forgot about the fishtank.

It generally works fine, either way. Helps if you streamline your system to have as few tasks and as few variables as possible. And go with your gut w/r/t whether someone seems truly responsible and interested in the task. I've never EVER had relatives around to take care of my animals when I'm gone and we've all survived so I bet yours will too
smile.png

Good luck,

Pat

I think it would be cool to have a section ON HERE so people from the same state-- area-- could B.S. amungst them selves. then that would be a great way to meet locals with the same interrests .. and find animal sitters, buy feed in bulk, 100's of advantages.. what say ye mods & admn??

Back
Top Bottom