Finding DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cappy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. cappy

cappy Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    I have looked at all the feed stores and farm supply stores in my area and no one knows what de is and none carry it. I did find pool filter de at a hardware store and was wondering if it is ok to use in the hen house under the bedding. It is pure de, nothing else.

Ken

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    That's probably not food grade, and if it's not, then it will most likely hurt the chickens. You can either mail order it, or you can use StallDri from Tractor Supply.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No...do not use the stuff for pools. It must be food grade/fresh water. Call around to garden nurseries in your area; they sometimes carry it, but it's usually higher than feed stores. You can also ask a feed store to order it for you. Mine only stocks it on occasion, but they ordered it for me.

4. wawa

wawa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Quote:Can anyone tell us where you are mail ordering from???[​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
  6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have found 'stall dry', it is a DE and clay mix in te equine section- i use it in the coop, and order regular DE from http://ag-organics.com/ they are fast with shipping, the problem ordering online is the shipping cost-

7. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Quote:Have you asked for Sweet PDZ? This is what we use in our coop and we even started using it in our cat litter box and it WORKS! It was about $13.00 for a 50 lb bag at our local feed store. It is designed to eliminate stink iin horse stalls.

Have a great day!

8. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
  9. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    We were impressed with DE food grade after researching it online. We found the cheapest even with shipping to NY State was for 25lbs from www.earthworkshealth.com - check out their site. We give it to all our cats and dogs in their canned food, my husband takes it every day and swears his arthritis is better and I sprinkle it in my hen feed, in their nestboxes and in the floor bedding - it is keeping the henhouse dry and odor free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by