Finding fodder seeds?

Sometimes you can sprout whole grains that are sold as animal feed (corn, oats, wheat, etc.) It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. If you already have some, it's easy to try a bit and see.
I do feed my horses whole oats, I could spare some! That’s a good idea.

I get fodder seed from my feed supply store. Talk to the store operators tell them what you are doing. In most cases they may not have what you need, but they will get it. A 50 pound bag of Barley seed cost me 15-17 dollars.
They’d have to special order the seed and the can’t just get one bag :/

My green lentils are sprouting well on day 3 and cost me £1 for an organic bag. Deffo check out the dried bean section at your local supermarket
C6316795-4FC6-4F22-929B-C35061EA4879.jpeg

Pardon the ignorance...

Is there anything wrong with sprouting wild bird mix? (mainly sunflower seeds, sorghum and millet). How does growing fodder help cut down on food costs?

Oh, I’ve read that fermenting feeds will help keep costs lower if you’re not doing that already...

How does growing fodder help cut down on food costs?

Well, it's certainly cheaper than buying lettuce and spinach at the grocery store to feed the chickens as a source of green plants, but I'm not sure it does cut the food cost in any other way.

(It's something I've read about but never tried, so you might get a more favorable answer from someone else :) )

Is there anything wrong with sprouting wild bird mix? (mainly sunflower seeds, sorghum and millet).

If they sprout, it should be fine.

Seeds sold for sprouting are expected to grow, seeds sold for eating or feeding may not grow--partly a matter of how they're stored and handled. (For example, they may have been in a building that got too hot, or they may be too old to grow well.)

Back
Top Bottom