Finding my duck a friend

MotherToMoose

Songster
Oct 19, 2016
So I have a solo duck, I’ve had her since she was a baby. Her and my dog are best friends. I know it’s frowned upon to have a solo duck but she’s very happy having my dog as a companion. I would like to, however, get another duck so she can socialize with her own kind... my question is how do I go about finding her a forever friend? Do I get her a male? (Although I don’t really want babies) Do I get a baby duck and have that one grow up with my 2 year old Runner? Also is it ok to leave them unattended? I don’t want my duck to get beat up or anything... she’s not used to the duck life lol

At 2yrs old I think getting an adult female would be better for your duck getting a drake would be way to much hormones form a single female. Getting another female around 1 yrs old and older would go best. You'd still have to introduce slowly but eventually they would be best buddies. Does Moose ever go outside and stay by herself in a secure area? Would you put both ducks outside for outside time if you had 2 or would you have 2 house ducks?

So I have a solo duck, I’ve had her since she was a baby. Her and my dog are best friends. I know it’s frowned upon to have a solo duck but she’s very happy having my dog as a companion. I would like to, however, get another duck so she can socialize with her own kind... my question is how do I go about finding her a forever friend? Do I get her a male? (Although I don’t really want babies) Do I get a baby duck and have that one grow up with my 2 year old Runner? Also is it ok to leave them unattended? I don’t want my duck to get beat up or anything... she’s not used to the duck life lol
I suggest checking your local Craigslist in the farm and garden section, often times people will post adds for unwanted poultry there. I do not suggest getting a male, pairs can work, but since you do not want babies anyway, I think it better to get a female. Furthermore, she is already two years old, and although, introducing a new duck, male or female, will automatically disrupt her routine, a male would make the change much more difficult. In addition, males typically need at least three hens to prevent over mating the hens. Will they have a safe and secure coop/run to protect them from predators?

Moose sounds like such a sweet, kind duckie. Runners are one of my favorite breeds. It's so sweet hearing about those unlikely animal friendships like she has with your dog! I love that name too! :D

Craigslist is great, petfinder.com too, sometimes ducks end up at the pound or rescues.
If you can wait until after Easter , sadly there's lots of castoff ducklings.
Also she might become a lot more ducklike, or not want so much loving from people if she has another duck. That's only what I've read, mind you i don't have first hand experience.

Thank you everyone for replying! Right now she lives outside during the day with my dog but at night they sleep inside. I’ll have to check out getting her an adult female, maybe if my dog warms up to her Moose will have no issues either!

Just go slow and always watch for trouble, it’s always wonderful when dogs and ducks get along but it will take time for your dog and duck To get use to a new member of the family and vise versa!

Back
Top Bottom