Mr D

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
I’ve heard that, for example, Dorkings and Bresse have fine meat, while Cornish and Jersey Giants have coarse meat. I have only eaten store bought chicken and self-slaughtered Buff Orpingtons. Can someone explain the texture (and if applicable the taste) differences between Coarse and fine meat?
Thanks...

I’ve heard that, for example, Dorkings and Bresse have fine meat, while Cornish and Jersey Giants have coarse meat. I have only eaten store bought chicken and self-slaughtered Buff Orpingtons. Can someone explain the texture (and if applicable the taste) differences between Coarse and fine meat?
Thanks...
From my experience only, cornish hens for example have coarse meat meaning longer straighter leaner meat , its actually more healthy , example (dark meat all around, including breast and back) a large portion of ducks have coarse meat. Larger chicken breeds have finer meat shorter grain, less dense less nutrional value ( white meat)

Thanks...
We used to raise them and their meat is more like a fine turkey meat much different than your regular Cornish meat birds. They do take longer to grow to market weight since they are a heritage breed but well worth the wait!! We are breeding them starting this year now that we are settled into our new farm!!

Coarse meat needs to have been slaughtered young when it's still tender or low and slow heat. Store bought Cornish X is coarse but none of it is ever older than 10 weeks of age by slaughter. Those thick strands of meat you are use to seeing is coarse and slaughtered young.

Fine meat is thinner strands, can withstand a bit longer grow out time without losing tenderness. A fine meat bird could be broiled at 15 weeks. Coarse meat birds would be tough broiled or grilled at that age. Finer strands will be more tender at all the age ranges and allowed cooking methods than coarse meat.

The older a bird is the more flavor the meat has.

Back
Top Bottom