Finish this sentence: "You know you're addicted to chickens when..."

I can relate to SO many of these! Recently, we looked at a house that we were maybe going to rent. They had a chicken coop in the back with a few chickens. I sat there for like 15 minutes trying to figure out what breeds they were! And I've got some more.

You know you are addicted to chickens when.... (This is me anyways :D)

Your sister is not doing her homework because she is playing on facebook, and YOUR not doing you homework because you are reading stuff on BYC
When you can sit there for hours just begging your dad to let you get another chicken (did this recently, I'm going to get a new cockerel! YAY!!!!)
You have eggs in your pantry (my duck just started laying and I put them into the pantry until I had enough to incubate)
The minute you come home from going out of town/running errands, you have to go check on the chickens
When some how, your dad doesn't complain when there is bedding all over the garage
When you can spend $80 on hatching eggs, get no chicks, and still be willing to get some more
When your closet door is completely FULL of chicken/duck pictures
When you have a chicken poster
When you see a bug, and you see it as food (for the chickens of course)
When you spend at least 90% of your free money, on chicken stuff

I could come up with SOO many more, but I'm done for now. Of to go check on my chickens :D

... you're about 10 days out from getting the coop and ladies, so you spend "nap time" looking up flowers that start with the letter "l" and try to match the flower pictures with the chicken pictures to find the perfect name for each of the birds. Is that too much?
idunno.gif

I picked the letter "l" because I have lavender, lupine, lilies and llamas, so it just seemed like the letter to go with.

... you're about 10 days out from getting the coop and ladies, so you spend "nap time" looking up flowers that start with the letter "l" and try to match the flower pictures with the chicken pictures to find the perfect name for each of the birds. Is that too much?
idunno.gif

I picked the letter "l" because I have lavender, lupine, lilies and llamas, so it just seemed like the letter to go with.
ah...yeah thats a bit much. lol!! kidding..
gig.gif

idunno.gif

I've sort of done that with ducks. I had not even gotten permission to have ducks yet but I was already planning out the names. Rueben and Ruebixa for Rouen ducks, and Jamaine for a Jumbo Pekin. There were more too, but i don't remember them.. Although, it did not end up that way, I ended up with Rueben and Ruebixa being cayugas and Jamaine being a Khaki Campbell.

...when there are waterers and feeders in your dish drainer more often than dishes.

...when everything in the laundry hamper has chicken poop on it somewheres.

...when "dinner and a movie" is a Jack's pizza, 2 liter of Squirt, and a comfy lawn chair out by the coop to watch chicken TV.

You know you're addicted to chickens when...... Your husband gets into the diaper bag to find something, and pulls out a Ziploc baggie of feed and a waterer base. True story.
tongue.png

You drive around town for any reason, and every back yard you pass you look for a coop, chickens, or every building you see or come in contact with you think ...Wow this would make a great coop. And you begin to plan for it as if it were actually going to happen. Where all the roosts would be, the nest boxes and so on. Yes, my DH officaly thinks I have lost my mind!

You design your garden around them!
Cucumbers in the front yard...
Tomatoes behind a tall fence...
Greens in containers, up high out of reach...
Spinach beneath a wire grid...
Corn and beans in someone else's garden!
And finally...
10 pots of kale, even though your family HATES kale, because it's good for the chickens.

Our chickens are free-ranged, so we get creative trying to grow all the food we can, and still share space with everyone.

You wake up in the middle of the night to pouring down rain and the next dream you have when you fall back to sleep is of your broody hen who is sitting on eggs gets taken away by flood waters. And of course when you wake up you have to make sure it didn't actually happen.

Back
Top Bottom