Finished our first batch of Cornish...What I learned

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jackiedon, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    We finished up the rest of the cornish X and these are the things I have learned.

1. I will do it again

2. They taste great

3. Fix the tractor somehow so it's easier to move instead of taking 4 of us.

4. Have 2 feeders instead one just one

5. Order my chicks in Sept instead of Oct.

6. Scalding Cornish X doesn't smell as bad as Polish Chickens

7. Try to learn how in the world to get all those pin feathers off, I tried scalding, brushes, gloves and still had them.

8. By the 20th chicken I can do the deed myself while DH guts them

9. Need to learn more chicken recipes!

Thanks everyone for helping me through all this, I really appreciate it.

jackie

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WTG!
    Christina
    (who is looking forward to hers coming in March!)

3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Good job!

I learned alot of the same things as well... in fact, I still have a batch that I need to make an appointment at the processor for.

One thing I did learn with my meat birds this year is that I will continue the purchase the cornish x from Mcmurray (they grow BIG and FAST) and I will probably not purchase the meat birds that I got from Towne Line Hatchery... I've had them about 12 weeks now and they're still nowhere near what my mcmurray birds were...

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    My wife is a County and State Fair prize winning cook , baker, and food preserver. She learned to do these at her mother's side. Among her tons of cook books are these: You can get the real recipes that are used by the name restaurants. "A Treasury of TOP Secret Recipes" by Todd Wilbur. "Top Secret Recipes Treasury II " by Todd Wilbur Includes recipes from Top sectret recipes Lite, Low-Fat top secret recipes, and Top secret recipes for Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, and Shakes. Enjoy !!!

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My last batch was from Towne Line and I thought they were great- did you have any other problems with them? It must depend on the batch of birds and luck- I found my Towne Line birds to be good sized, and I had a lot more birds die early in my McMurray batch.

7. AmazonDragon

AmazonDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Congatulations on learning so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by