Finished - with happy chicks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LindaJean, Jun 2, 2012.

1. LindaJean

LindaJean In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    McCleary, Wa
    I just saw and gorgeous coop on this site and mine is nothing to compare, but I'm pleased with what we have and my chicks seem to love it. The whole thing is 20 x 30 and the coop is 7 x 7.

[​IMG]

Alas, the pink pool is gone - the ducks freaked out at the thought of it and prefer the cement mixing tub - go figure!! There's aviary netting over the top - thank goodness for a tall daughter or that would have been much harder. The fencing is welded wire and then I've added 2 ft tall poultry wire around the bottom. I put bedding in the blue bin turned on its side and they use that for short naps during the day. I still have to cut in the chicken door, so until then we have one of the big doors propped open and secured from blowing so they can come and go in the coop. The thing I like about the resin shed is that when I've taken the bedding out I can hose it down and I know it's really clean. Wet Spring (Western Washington 'ya know) and they do use the covered area so that seems to be working. It's been a labor of love and I'm sure there will be tweaks here and there but overall it's working.

2. En Plein Air Farms

En Plein Air Farms Songster

Feb 14, 2010
    Kalama SW Washington
    Hi neighbor. Couple of questions, is the white building the coop? Does the run have the top wired too?
    My FIL's run in Chehalis was this size, and he had two 8X6 coops at each end and a wire divider in the middle of the run with a small gate (2X2ish) in it. When he changed out the older non-layers with the new chicks they were given plenty of time to meet and greet at the fence and by the time the little gate was opened (2-3 weeksish) everyone was buddies.

Great space! Thank you for sharing!

3. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chirping

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Wow, that's a great run!

4. LindaJean

LindaJean In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    McCleary, Wa
    Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the white building (aka Rubbermaid Resin shed) is the coop. The whole thing, coop and run, is covered with aviary netting. I don't know if it has been tested by Hawk or anything, but it seems pretty sturdy. I have two different ages of chicks. Although only 1 1/2 weeks apart in age - a whole lot of difference in size and attitude. Plus there are 3 ducklings. I tried to integrate them when they were enclosed in the coop, but separated - and that was definitely out. Once the whole enclosure was finished and they could go outside in the bigger area, they all just got along fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: