Fire Ants...

Polish Chickens

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Houston
I would really like to take my chicks out for them to enjoy being outside and I noticed that there are fire ants spread out everywhere in the grass where I had put my chicks on the grass. I worry that the darn ants would pose a threat as they'll bite the feet of my chicks as I noticed a few of my chicks were cheeping when I picked one up and there was a fire ant just biting it's foot toe which I had removed the little bugger. Do fire ants pose a threat to my chicks or should I not worry about them?

I suppose they could, if there were enough bites. Mine stay away from them. I figure they got stung at some point and learned their lesson.

Not sure...I am new to the chicken family....
however we have those pesty fire ants...I would keep them away... too many bites can't be good for anyone!
barnie.gif
ouch!

I've been wondering about this myself. And what if you use something like Over & Out that you spread over the whole yard in the spring? How long before it is safe for the chicks I wonder. Does anyone know?

Quote:
If there is enough area which is not infected by fire ants so chicks can run for safety I would not be worry.

My LF mutts destroyed all ant mounds including fire ants.

I started to dig the last mound of fire ants, so my chicks started to gobble on eggs and larvae, then fire ants started fight back and crawl up my hens legs stinging them, my hens pick them up one by one and ate them.

It was fun to watch.

I put DE on the mounds. It does not kill them but it does slow them down....some.

If your chicks are small you are probably at a greater risk.

Back
Top Bottom