Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

Metal conduit to protect the wiring insulation from rodents or wear and tear instead of stapling wire to wood. Metal cage on light to protect from breakage and it looks like a heavy glass globe over bulb would keep dust away from the bulb itself as well as the heat the bulb puts off and/or any arcing that might happen at bulb socket.

Those dust/weather capps on the outlets look good but I would think you'd want gfci outlets everywhere.

my two cents

Metal conduit to protect the wiring insulation from rodents or wear and tear instead of stapling wire to wood. Metal cage on light to protect from breakage and it looks like a heavy glass globe over bulb would keep dust away from the bulb itself as well as the heat the bulb puts off and/or any arcing that might happen at bulb socket.

Those dust/weather capps on the outlets look good but I would think you'd want gfci outlets everywhere.

my two cents
According to the person who posted the images:

Quote: I thought a if you had a fixture that was covered.. Would a porch light kind of thing work in the barn?

Like this for example.. Not saying this is what we would use, but it is made for a covered porch (outside). Would something like this work to keep dust out?

A light suggestion: what about going with an LED fixture, where heat lamps are not required? LEDs give off significantly less heat than incandescents (and maybe dust would not, therefore, be an issue at the fixture) and last a very long time. The upfront expense would pay for itself over time.

Last edited:
My thoughts on that light and any other that aren't sealed in some way is that it might help but not be 100%. After raising baby chicks in my bathroom, I'm here to tell you that I never stopped finding that dust from incubation one year to the next. I clean houses and funeral homes for a living (lol) and people don't realize how much dust accumulates on the light bulbs them selves. Even if they hang upside down in what's called a can light. Enough dust to make the bulb appear dim I may be sure that the houses I clean are spotless but don't ask DH because who has time after working all day and chicken TV at night to clean their own.
So, my .02 cents on this. Be sensible. Sweep the barn/coop out every now and again. Pay attention, to cobwebs/dust, exposed cords, etc. just like you would if you had water. You'd be checking for leaks. Just don't drive yourself crazy (I've seen one of those tube/glass globes over a bulb but can't remember what type of environment needed it)

Last edited:
Someone posted these on my FB wall. Fire safe lights. Cords are all in metal. I have no idea how to explain that in proper terms.. I know all this looks like it would cost a lot of money and is probably not feasible for most, but I am definitely going to do something like this. Minus the light fixture. I'm not quite sold on it yet.
These light fixtures are in my old barn. They don't look pretty but are very safe in all barns. The glass part screws on to seal out all dust and water. In my lights I have LED's and they give off lots of light. My Dad is a retired AF electician and all of our wiring are in metal conduit. Yes it is more expensive than the PVC conduit but after a mouse had chewed threw it he went to the metal. Our fire was not caused by mice but a heat lamp that had malfunctioned. The breaker did trip but the fire was on its way anyway. We saved the barn but lots of changes will come this spring with plug-in's and more lights. Also the wire on the glass is to prevent an animal like a horse breaking the glass. Ours don't have the metal as we don't have any large animals anymore. Our horse barn does have them in it. We need to remember that what looks pretty may not be very safe in this situation.

First, let me say I am so sorry for your loss. Secondly, as a first time chicken owner (just ordered today!) Thank you for the tips. Good luck w your rebuild. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

I mentioned GFI because that outlet in the picure is not GFI.
You can have GFI breakers to protect the circuit and/or GFI outlets but I'm not sure which is safer or even if you can have both.

A GFI has a protective feature that stops all electricity coming out of the outlet. Behind the cord here is a reset button that when moisture or arcing or anything out of the ordinary happens it pops out. In order to reset you have to push the button back in. Never, under any circumstances, should it ever be forced on or made to stay on. If it pops out, you need to know why. I read on here where there have been times when breakers trip many times. That should be the ultimate warning that something's wrong. I've been in those same shoes and done the same thing. Not being judgmental or pointing fingers. I learned the hard way. We have GFI outlets in both bathrooms and 1 in the kitchen. The kitchen one trips somewhat frequent. If I'm running several things at one time on the same line or I'm mixing something and it splatters too close to the outlet. Wonderful feature. Editing to say that this one will not keep moisture out but keeps debris away when it's closed. It snaps shut but doesn't seal.

This one is supposed to seal and not allow moisture in when closed. We have one on the back porch and outside the garage. They have to be closed to work.

Both are great and need to be used in the right situations. I think the metal conduit is a great idea. Although hubby isn't thrilled, I'm having him change ours this summer. The wire running from the garage to the hen house is buried in conduit using the approved wire.

Last edited:
Baby barn has been ordered. Would never have been able to get here without you guys.

Baby barn is 10 x 12 in Amber with lots of ventilation and a nice window. We will use Clementine's old kennel for the run unless we are there to supervise free ranging.. Does not seem safe without a guardian.

It will be delivered this Friday. Expect pictures. Finally some light to really show off the colours of the Basement Babies! They needed this so much.. They are getting cramped in those play pens.. But what can you do? At least they are alive. You guys are going to make them so happy.

Almost the entire baby barn was paid for with help from many donors from our FB page. I don't know what we would do without that help.. The chicks are far too big to be in playpens still. The youngest are 8 weeks, oldest 12 weeks.

Okay, so the baby barn has been delivered for the basement babies, and I love it! Here are some quick pictures before we put shavings and the birds in there.

Outside front.

The back.

Inside

Koda inspecting the building

They put the pop door at ground level. Ah well. They thought to secure it from the inside - which is very cool of them.

Pop door from the back.

Front doors from inside

They still haven't come to clean up the debris :(

Back
Top Bottom