Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

Not sure which thread to post this on......So, what are your plans on keeping the dust off the lights, cords and connections going forward. Most big dairy farmers never think about dusting. I have baby chicks in my house bathroom and in just 2 weeks, the chick dust is awful! It gives me food for thought.
We're not sure yet.

What are your suggestions on the type of light to put out there?

No extension cords at all. We are having a lot of outlets all over to minimize the need for any at all.

We're not sure yet. 

What are your suggestions on the type of light to put out there? 

No extension cords at all. We are having a lot of outlets all over to minimize the need for any at all.

I'm not sure myself. Right now I have the heat lamp style fixture clamped to the ceiling beam. I screw 2 screws on either side of the beam so the clamp cannot slip off. I use a 40 watt bulb. It's a chicken coop so not much lighting needed only if I go out after dark. I have 2 outlets. 1 being that glf type nearer to the floor and one in the ceiling. (The normal outlet type)
I've always been concerned about the dust and how flammable it could be. I know I should be more careful. Nothing except a heated water dish is out there, so not much electricity is drawn.
I know what a horrible tragedy this has been but are you able to see a blessing here, yet? You are going to have a new barn, set up the way you want, something you would have worked for for a long time. The pain of losing all your precious babies won't go completely away but you're learning from it and you are teaching all of us. So good can come out of bad. It took me a long time to see it and you might not yet be able to. We are all so proud of the fact that you've shared so much. I wonder how many of us deliberately went out and checked our barns/coops. We have you to thank. I'm not trying to hurt with my words but healing can take many forms.
After I first joined BYC I looked up all the fires people have in their coops. I never knew. My family were all farmers and I know they used single bulbs hanging down the center of the dairy barn. (shutter). Part of me wants to delete this but sunshine is on it's way. Sue

I'm not sure myself. Right now I have the heat lamp style fixture clamped to the ceiling beam. I screw 2 screws on either side of the beam so the clamp cannot slip off. I use a 40 watt bulb. It's a chicken coop so not much lighting needed only if I go out after dark. I have 2 outlets. 1 being that glf type nearer to the floor and one in the ceiling. (The normal outlet type)
I've always been concerned about the dust and how flammable it could be. I know I should be more careful. Nothing except a heated water dish is out there, so not much electricity is drawn.
I know what a horrible tragedy this has been but are you able to see a blessing here, yet? You are going to have a new barn, set up the way you want, something you would have worked for for a long time. The pain of losing all your precious babies won't go completely away but you're learning from it and you are teaching all of us. So good can come out of bad. It took me a long time to see it and you might not yet be able to. We are all so proud of the fact that you've shared so much. I wonder how many of us deliberately went out and checked our barns/coops. We have you to thank. I'm not trying to hurt with my words but healing can take many forms.
After I first joined BYC I looked up all the fires people have in their coops. I never knew. My family were all farmers and I know they used single bulbs hanging down the center of the dairy barn. (shutter). Part of me wants to delete this but sunshine is on it's way. Sue
Sue, nothing about your post offended me.

Yes brighter days ahead.

If the animals escaped the fire alive, I would not be upset at all. It's the animals we mourn for.

Quote:
  • If I may, I'd like to also recommend that electrical wiring in barns be enclosed in conduit, and all permanent light fixtures be in cages, especially where the larger livestock might potentially break the bulbs by rearing or rough-housing.

If your wiring is running through walls or above the ceiling, conduit is VERY important! I had a breaker trip, it was the one that just powered two 60 watt bulbs for lighting (fixtures hardwired in). The first thing I saw was that my timer for the lights was full of dust. I called myself a few names, cleaned out the dust, reset the breaker and all was fine. Until the next morning when I saw that the breaker had tripped again. My husband had built me the chicken house after a tornado took out our old one, he insulated the ceiling and walls, and had the wiring run so it wasn't exposed. When I started dropping the ceiling panels one at a time, I found the problem. Mice LOVE the coating on electrical wiring! There were stretches 3 or 4 feet long that was just exposed wire with little or no coating left! And one mouse was hanging off of a wire, obviously fried. I shuddered to think how close we came to losing the place.

Last edited:
Quote:

If your wiring is running through walls or above the ceiling, conduit is VERY important! I had a breaker trip, it was the one that just powered two 60 watt bulbs for lighting (fixtures hardwired in). The first thing I saw was that my timer for the lights was full of dust. I called myself a few names, cleaned out the dust, reset the breaker and all was fine. Until the next morning when I saw that the breaker had tripped again. My husband had built me the chicken house after a tornado took out our old one, he insulated the ceiling and walls, and had the wiring run so it wasn't exposed. When I started dropping the ceiling panels one at a time, I found the problem. Mice LOVE the coating on electrical wiring! There were stretches 3 or 4 feet long that was just exposed wire with little or no coating left! And one mouse was hanging off of a wire, obviously fried. I shuddered to think how close we came to losing the place.
Yes I have read that mice cause a lot of barn fires. I should add that to the list...

I wonder if there is someone here on BYC that is an electrician and what they would advise. We can't stop dust or mice or whatever can cause malfunctions. Our house fire was caused because an electrician illegally wired, a house inspector at the time of the house sale didn't inspect and finally, the fuse box failed to trip when arcing began. Someone should be able to give incite on what can make it safe for us. I think we can drive ourselves crazy worrying about things. Even after a house fire, losing everything including my old cat, I don't worry. I do what I can. Some things are beyond my control. (I do have a cousin, he's a retired fire investigator, I'll try to contact and find out what he thinks about safe lighting in a barn. I do know that he is very anti-extension cords) Thanks Justine, You are my hero!
hugs.gif

I wonder if there is someone here on BYC that is an electrician and what they would advise. We can't stop dust or mice or whatever can cause malfunctions. Our house fire was caused because an electrician illegally wired, a house inspector at the time of the house sale didn't inspect and finally, the fuse box failed to trip when arcing began. Someone should be able to give incite on what can make it safe for us. I think we can drive ourselves crazy worrying about things. Even after a house fire, losing everything including my old cat, I don't worry. I do what I can. Some things are beyond my control. (I do have a cousin, he's a retired fire investigator, I'll try to contact and find out what he thinks about safe lighting in a barn. I do know that he is very anti-extension cords) Thanks Justine, You are my hero!
hugs.gif

Someone posted these on my FB wall. Fire safe lights. Cords are all in metal. I have no idea how to explain that in proper terms..

I know all this looks like it would cost a lot of money and is probably not feasible for most, but I am definitely going to do something like this. Minus the light fixture. I'm not quite sold on it yet.

Someone posted these on my FB wall. Fire safe lights. Cords are all in metal. I have no idea how to explain that in proper terms..

I know all this looks like it would cost a lot of money and is probably not feasible for most, but I am definitely going to do something like this. Minus the light fixture. I'm not quite sold on it yet.
Is this supposed to keep out dust? Hmmm, I've seen wiring like this before. In my coop I'm not so worried about the wire itself but the fixtures. Might not be as expensive as you think. Thank you!

Is this supposed to keep out dust? Hmmm, I've seen wiring like this before. In my coop I'm not so worried about the wire itself but the fixtures. Might not be as expensive as you think. Thank you!
Are you talking light fixtures or the outlets? The outlets are meant to keep out weather and dust. I doubt the light one is though... But why the cage?

The wires are dangerous if exposed. Mice love chewing on wires. That's what someone mentioned earlier today.

Are you talking light fixtures or the outlets? The outlets are meant to keep out weather and dust. I doubt the light one is though... But why the cage?

The wires are dangerous if exposed. Mice love chewing on wires. That's what someone mentioned earlier today.
Both, I think. I was told a long time ago that mice think electric/phone lines taste like bubble gum. Important to keep the rodent count down. I think the cage has something to do with hitting the bulb either by an animal or say carrying a long pole or board. Just for protection. I like the set up.

Back
Top Bottom