Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

We were very lucky that all their was in the loft was pigeon POOP and dead ones too. Had their been any hay we would have lost the battle for sure. My hay/straw stash was downstairs in the middle of the floor. Next year it will be stored outiside with a tarp on it.

Again I am so sorry that it happend at all to you. I hope many people will learn from your experience and not repeat. I know we needed a wake up call and we got the message as clear as day. This weekend Dad will be starting the electrical modifications and making sure that none of the wiring was compromised from the fire.

I don't believe tarping hay is a very good Idea Tarps will trap water inside and also make water thus your hay will become moldy even if you can't smell the mold it's there and it's very bad for animals. Hay can and should be stored in the barn and the barn must have ventilation to not only keep it dry but also to keep dust down (make sure all bales are not baled tightly if you can't get your hand down a bale it's to tight ) . All wire should be in conduit or in it's own metal conduit All outlets must be GFI protected and have water proof covers (also keeps dust out), YOur electrical box should be in a shed outside the barn. Also though I'm really sorry the live stock died in the fire you can only blame yourself If you wouldn't do it in your house don't do it in your barn Extention cords have not place in a barn unless they are 12/3 or larger and can be grounded. ends wrapped . If you have electric in your barn you should have Fire/smoke detectors they can be wired as to have audible sound in the house.

I use the clear plastic baby safe outlet covers. When you have a double outlet and are only using one to plug into I plug one of the plastic baby safe covers into the second outlet. It keeps the dust out and any liquid that could drip in. These baby safe covers are available at hardware stores and children's stores and cost next to nothing. :D

I read this post a couple of weeks ago and it has been on my mind ever since. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't begin to imagine.
I just wanted to thank you for these well thought out points of interest and safety. I will be getting my first clutch of chicks in a couple weeks and have rearranged my brooder plans after reading this post... this included getting a new, bigger cage for the guinea pig so that I can use wire top of the older/smaller one which we are planning on placing inside the wooden hutch that sits in our kitchen waiting for the chirpers. Prior to reading this story, I had not considered the possibility of the brooder light falling into the shavings.. Which in all honesty, could be a real concern with the location of the hutch and it's proximity to being bumped by human hips and wrestling dogs. So THANK YOU! Not only do I have a better idea on the safety of my birds (and family, since the birds will be in our home for awhile), but the guinea pig now has a larger home with room for two hidey boxes!

I wish you well in recovering from this.
hugs.gif

I added this to another thread and want to bring it up again:

No one use any type of extension cord with a heated lamp. That is an accident waiting to happen according to the fire marshall I spoke with.

Heat lamps alone are dangerous if they fall, but they are even more dangerous if using an extension cord because they don't have to fall to start a fire.

Sorry for the larger printing and colour, but I thought it was too important to get lost amongst the sea of other words.

Quiet Pony: I am glad I could help you in any way. Some days are easier than others.

Last night I had a dream that many of my birds reappeared out of the woods. I hugged my favourite hen and woke up crying. Days like today are very hard.

i too appreciate this thread. i can only imagine the loss. since reading this, i have looked closely at my set up. my chickens have had some chilly nights because i just couldn't bring myself to use a heat lamp. this has helped me to be vigilant about what's going on in there.

AOXA, thank you for your post about safety. I am very sorry about your loss. I was raised by a firefighter and cannot begin to tell you how many itimes it has been ingrained into me and my family about fire saftey. The heat lamp I had on my brooder completely freaked me out and was only used long enough for the brinsea to come in. Now, as we design and build the coop, my father (ex-firefighter/electrician) is stressing on running as little electricity as possible to the coop and just insulate the little buggers as much as safely possible.

Again, so sorry for your loss. When I read the part about your dream, I honestly started to tear up. Very sad. Please keep your chin up and I look forward to your rebuild.

Aoxa, I'm so sorry for your losses. I know it is so hard but you are doing a great service posting this. I have an extension cord running out that services both the coop and the barn. Mainly Christmas lights that I leave up all year but also a heater in the barn. Now I know how lucky we are that we haven't had a fire. We are going to get an electrician out immediately to do it right. I also think that using as little electricity as possible is a great idea as is storing hay off site.

Hang in there. You are strong and will bounce back. Just remember what a service you've done for all of us...

Back
Top Bottom