Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

Good to know that we are on the right track! Thank you so much for talking with your cousin.

Did you see how many outlets we have? There is exactly 20 in there. I have one for each brooder set up.

No extension cords for us! :D
hugs.gif

On all of my reflector lamps I retrofit with hanging chains, I drill a hole at the top and use 2 or 3 eye bolts with a metal washer on each side and a lock nut. I attach with chain and a repair link and fasten them into a rafter with a closed eye bolt. No extension cords there is a double plug on the rafter with a thermocube that turns the heat lamp (I use a ceramic 150 watt reptile lamp) on and off at 35 degrees. The heat lamp has a grid covering the lamp that is bolted on in 4 places. The regular light with the red cord has a non squiggly CFR bulb (it looks like an incandescent bulb) on a timer. Both have heavy cords and porcelain sockets. I use these in all my coops and have never had any issues.

On all of my reflector lamps I retrofit with hanging chains, I drill a hole at the top and use 2 or 3 eye bolts with a metal washer on each side and a lock nut. I attach with chain and a repair link and fasten them into a rafter with a closed eye bolt. No extension cords there is a double plug on the rafter with a thermocube that turns the heat lamp (I use a ceramic 150 watt reptile lamp) on and off at 35 degrees. The heat lamp has a grid covering the lamp that is bolted on in 4 places. The regular light with the red cord has a non squiggly CFR bulb (it looks like an incandescent bulb) on a timer. Both have heavy cords and porcelain sockets. I use these in all my coops and have never had any issues.

It wasn't a heat lamp that caused the fire. And just because you haven't had issues, doesn't mean you won't.

Everything is just fine until it isn't anymore.

I don't mean to be rude, but I feel very strongly that this is not a safe set up. You see the dust on those lamps? Fire hazard right there.

Last edited:
I to am sorry for your loss and just wanted to add a few items regarding fire safety. I was a volunteer firefighter for a number of years and these are a few things I can recall from that side as well as this one. Remember a large number of fire departments are volunteer especially in rural areas. That means they are in bed just like you and when the pager goes off the must go to the station, get the truck and then get from the station to you. So don't count on the fire department to save your barn. Even a full time department down the street would have problems saving a barn once its burning. So the reality of it is you need to do everything possible to keep it from catching fire in the first place.

Next a lot of farm lanes/driveways are made for things other than firetrucks to navigate. Get with your local fire department to make sure they are able to get fire apparatus from the road to your barn do not assume without verifying it.

A water supply is crucial if you don't live in an area with a hydrant. If you have a farm pond, ask your fire department or local municipality about putting a dry hydrant on it the fire department can access in emergencies if its close to the road, or something you can do for your own property. Again they have to be able to access it with a heavy truck. Yes they carry water but its not enough for a barn fire.

The best prevention is getting heat alarms and smoke detectors installed in crucial areas preferably wired to your house. Again ask your local fire department for advice on specifically what to get and where to put it. They are firefighters because they like helping people. Most of this stuff is free except the equipment. Most fire departments like when people are proactive in fire prevention and are more than willing to do these things. They may even enjoy seeing your farm and meeting your animals! For the little it will cost you to install the heat and smoke alarms, I assure you they are worth their weight in gold if you value your livestock.

I am so sorry for your loss, but way to go on your recovery! I'm glad you pulled through and didn't give up. I lost my house a few years ago and I didn't get all my animals out in time. I just wanted to say I'm glad you have recovered and I know that pain never truly goes away but hopefully the joy of starting anew can make it easier.
smile.png

I to am sorry for your loss and just wanted to add a few items regarding fire safety. I was a volunteer firefighter for a number of years and these are a few things I can recall from that side as well as this one. Remember a large number of fire departments are volunteer especially in rural areas. That means they are in bed just like you and when the pager goes off the must go to the station, get the truck and then get from the station to you. So don't count on the fire department to save your barn. Even a full time department down the street would have problems saving a barn once its burning. So the reality of it is you need to do everything possible to keep it from catching fire in the first place.

Next a lot of farm lanes/driveways are made for things other than firetrucks to navigate. Get with your local fire department to make sure they are able to get fire apparatus from the road to your barn do not assume without verifying it.

A water supply is crucial if you don't live in an area with a hydrant. If you have a farm pond, ask your fire department or local municipality about putting a dry hydrant on it the fire department can access in emergencies if its close to the road, or something you can do for your own property. Again they have to be able to access it with a heavy truck. Yes they carry water but its not enough for a barn fire.

The best prevention is getting heat alarms and smoke detectors installed in crucial areas preferably wired to your house. Again ask your local fire department for advice on specifically what to get and where to put it. They are firefighters because they like helping people. Most of this stuff is free except the equipment. Most fire departments like when people are proactive in fire prevention and are more than willing to do these things. They may even enjoy seeing your farm and meeting your animals! For the little it will cost you to install the heat and smoke alarms, I assure you they are worth their weight in gold if you value your livestock.
Very good information up here. ^

I don't fire in my shed would really last or spread because Firstly, It's metal. Secondly, the cord is a heavy duty high powered cord and all thats being powered is a oscillating fan or a place heater and occasionally a 60 watt light bulb so yea not heavy output but has a big input.
Anyways my pullets are so fun to watch. And partially because I'm new to the whole poultry thing.
Next year I'm showing poultry in 4-H! But these pullets will be open class showable. But I'm sure most of you know... Since Chickens have a fast maturity rate the time from Showing to State fair it's almost mandatory to have a younger pullet or cockerel that may not be showable at its age.

Back
Top Bottom