Firechick in Georgia

Firechick1206

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Hi, I am new to this site, and new to chickens. I am in the process of slowly building my coop and knowledge about my upcoming backyard chicken adventure. we live on 44 acres and have 3 horses along with two 7 yr old little boys. we want to teach them about responsibility and self reliance as well is maybe cut down on some grocery bills while eating a lil healthier. I am looking into getting 5 RIR hens to start off, and maybe adding a rooster in the spring to make us some babies. we will see from there.

Hey and welcome! This place has been a life-saver for me---so much information and so many helpful and friendly people! We're new to chickens too---got our ladies back in March.

Greetings from Kansas, Firechick1206, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! I like how you are raising your boys with chickens - lot of good lessons. Best of luck to you!

I'm new to this group and to raising chickens. most of my knowledge is from being a little dude watching my Great Grand Mother deal with her chicks. I have finally got some of my seven hens laying. and it has been a lot of fun watching them grow and become big laying hens. the only problem I have had is one of my girls lost her eye, I guess from a lucky peck from one of her sisters. I have learned a lot after the fact. And it looks like I have more to learn. My group is a mixed up bunch some 5 different breeds for more colorful eggs. And not knowing which were heavier layers I have a mix of what they had at the store. It's nice to have a group to come to and be able to share your experience and concerns.

Hi and :welcome

Eggs from backyard chickens are great. I hope you and your family enjoy the chickens!
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom