First 2 eggs!!!

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
This morning I went to let the girls out of the coop and I spotted 2 light brown objects laying in the pine shavings. Apparently 2 of the girls had brought forth some eggs in their sleep. One had cracked badly and the other was dented enough that neither were edible.
sad.png
My visions of holding a nice egg up for the camera were crushed. Cracked would be more applicable.

They now have some straw lined nest boxes in the coop as well as one right underneath of it. Since they're in their new run I hope that they start to use them rather than go find a secluded area in the run to lay them.

The only real point of concern was when I laid the better of the 2 eggs outside as I reached in for the other more mangled one. One of the girls walked up and pecked the heck out of the better egg. It was obviously seen as a treat from the head rooster. The girls go to anyone but they have a definite preference for my company. Especially when I sit down with them. It is like story time in kindergarten.

woot.gif
Congrats on the first eggs. Hopefully they'll get the idea about using nestboxes pretty quickly.
fl.gif

ETA: Did you put golf balls or other roundish egg-looking object in the nestboxes?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom