First aid kit essentials question

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all. I have searched the forum and as far as I can tell, I find no previous posts on an emergency toolkit or med stock to have on hand backyard flock emergencies. For my family (dogs, too) I maintain well stocked first aid kits and a trauma box because of my geographic distance from ED, vet clinic and pharmacy. My question for this group is what do I need to have readily available as I prepare to receive my first flock of chicks? Things like lice, mites are bothersome and must be dealt with but, in my opinion, not emergent.
I see many postings about dehydration, electrolytes, vitamin deficient derived neurologic conditions, acute illness from which I can gleam bits and pieces of treatment without much specifics in brand, dose per weight, administration. Being a medical person I feel this is necessary for me to adequately prepare for my flock. I trust the opinions of this forum very much and would be most appreciative of any suggestions. Perhaps someone would make a list for a sticky thread if it is a popular idea to share.
Fluffiest regards :)

Syringes, Bag Balm, painkiller free Neosporin, a bag of Corid (essentially important if you plan on having chicks to treat for coccidiosis), and some sort of wormer like Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer or Ivermectin. Definitely VetRX, and terramycin for eye treatments doesn’t hurt either. These are what I have in my chicken emergency kit.

There is a long-form article on the subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them.64830/

I'd say for baby chicks -
Nutri-Drench for vitamins in case anybody's doing poorly
Vaseline or Coconut oil for cases of pasty butt
Sav-A-Chick Probiotics just for a boost
Triple Antibiotic Ointment without pain reliever (like Neosporin) for any small wounds
Maybe Styptic powder or similar for the occasional broken toenail that bleeds like crazy

You don’t have to keep a lot of things on hand that have expiration dates and may be wasted. Many of the same first aid items that you use for dogs will be the same. Saline or soap and water for mild injuries, or something like chlorhexidene (Hibiclens or other brand) are good for disinfecting a deep wound. Plain triple antibiotic/neosporin ointment is good. If your chicks are coming from a hatchery, you can opt to have them vaccinated for coccidiosis. If not, Corid (amprollium) is good to have onhand. Pedialyte from the grocery store or even homemade electrolytes are fine. Gatorade is good in a pinch. Begin with healthy chicks, and you should not be troubled with respiratory diseases. Don’t buy chicks from unknown people, swap meets or people selling for the money. Don’t use antibiotics casually. Most are not approved for poultry because of egg and meat withdrawals, and hardly any are found in feed stores because of increasing antibiotic resistance. Good luck with your chicks.

Syringes, Bag Balm, painkiller free Neosporin, a bag of Corid (essentially important if you plan on having chicks to treat for coccidiosis), and some sort of wormer like Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer or Ivermectin. Definitely VetRX, and terramycin for eye treatments doesn’t hurt either. These are what I have in my chicken emergency kit.
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

There is a long-form article on the subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them.64830/

I'd say for baby chicks -
Nutri-Drench for vitamins in case anybody's doing poorly
Vaseline or Coconut oil for cases of pasty butt
Sav-A-Chick Probiotics just for a boost
Triple Antibiotic Ointment without pain reliever (like Neosporin) for any small wounds
Maybe Styptic powder or similar for the occasional broken toenail that bleeds like crazy
Thanks!! My search obviously missed the obvious. That article is like gold 🤗

You don’t have to keep a lot of things on hand that have expiration dates and may be wasted. Many of the same first aid items that you use for dogs will be the same. Saline or soap and water for mild injuries, or something like chlorhexidene (Hibiclens or other brand) are good for disinfecting a deep wound. Plain triple antibiotic/neosporin ointment is good. If your chicks are coming from a hatchery, you can opt to have them vaccinated for coccidiosis. If not, Corid (amprollium) is good to have onhand. Pedialyte from the grocery store or even homemade electrolytes are fine. Gatorade is good in a pinch. Begin with healthy chicks, and you should not be troubled with respiratory diseases. Don’t buy chicks from unknown people, swap meets or people selling for the money. Don’t use antibiotics casually. Most are not approved for poultry because of egg and meat withdrawals, and hardly any are found in feed stores because of increasing antibiotic resistance. Good luck with your chicks.
Perfect! Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom