First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

My barnvelders and Wheaton Am's go into lockdown today I am SO excited for these but I just dont know some of these wheatons look clear still..nothing stinks but some are REALLY iffy on these durn shipped eggs ....ya know how that goes....when is lockdown officially for this hatch anyway? am I bit early?

yuckyuck.gif
As usual, it all depends . . . .

Even though I set on Sunday, I am planning on going into lockdown this evening just in case I wind up with an early hatcher. Can't wait for this hatch to finish up!
wee.gif

But what a nice surprise! Tell me Karimw, do you like surprises? I sure hope so........
I DO like surprises!

Quote:
I don't know about that.
hmm.png
I sent some eggs and the person who received them said it looked like a large boot print on the top. The box was clearly marked "Fragile". Maybe the machines wear boots?
rant.gif
That would be terrible! There are some jerks out there for sure. Most of the postal transport system isn't even handled by them. All outsourced to contracted carriers including FedEx and UPS. Even so I agree we have to pack for the worse case scenario.
hu.gif

Such broody dilemmas going on at my house. I have an IaB that's been sitting for 2 months. Her first batch went bad and I just had to toss the last egg of her second batch. I tried to give her a chick from another hatch but found it dead when I got home from work the next day obviously having been pushed or fallen out. She was angrily guarding fresh eggs despite being skin and bones. I'm going to try to give her some eggs a little closer to hatch and see if that will work. I settled in the SPP Rocks I got in the mail and added 12 chicks from 5 different cages in a flurry of angry hens and crying babies. Kind of sad to do it, but I'm just not set up to house 5 separate little families this time of year.

I still have 4 nests being rotated under 6 hens and 1 turkey who shares the basket with another Iowa Blue. The turkey isn't very committed though and about every other night I find her in the rafters. The IaB doesn't seem to mind though. They have 6 turkeys and 10 chicken eggs so I may snag the chicken eggs to put under the other IaB and see how the partnership does raising the poults. I have the best luck with 2 hens sharing a batch of chicks. The Cochin hens are great for this since they get along with each other so well.

lol.. this little "turkey" isn't going to wait til the weekend
tongue.png

love.gif

I got called by CrazyNeighborLady today (while I was at work - a pet peeve of mine, no matter how many times I tell her I work, and only call me if there's an emergency like my house is on fire or there's chickens in your yard, etc) - her kids kindergarten teacher was apparently trying to hatch some chick for the class, and they didn't hatch. 20 questions later and they're only on day 12.
th.gif

I got called by CrazyNeighborLady today (while I was at work - a pet peeve of mine, no matter how many times I tell her I work, and only call me if there's an emergency like my house is on fire or there's chickens in your yard, etc) - her kids kindergarten teacher was apparently trying to hatch some chick for the class, and they didn't hatch. 20 questions later and they're only on day 12.
th.gif
lau.gif

On my last hatch, when I was on day 3, I looked up from the incubator with my best worried face and told DH, "I'm not hearing any peeping yet". For a second he took me seriously and asked "Should you be?"
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom