First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

SCG, This is the only one listed on the Turkey thread here on BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/92240/give-me-the-dirt-on-turkeys
I have the ALBC's "Raising Heritage Turkeys" softcover book that I like for reference.
Others that have turkeys will have to answer questions, I'm a turkey newbie (other than a failed attempt at bringing home a six month old pair that resulted in the tom mounting and breeding the young hen until injuring her beyond repair, she died, he was eaten-I blame his behavior on my young neighbor boys who have a female turkey call that thought it was fun to make him strut and gobble each time they blew it-the hen suffered from too much attention because of it-they were told what happened and I don't think it will be a problem again-they were shocked and sad that the turkeys were gone).

So can multiple toms get along? Is it similar with roosters that there will be one alpha male and the rest will try to be sneaky? Is there tom fighting? A good ratio of toms to hens? Or does it not matter?

Any good sticky on what to know about raising them?

x2!? Give us the goods, oh wise ones.

As turkeys go they are much the same as chickens as far pecking order and such. Turkeys however mature much slower than chickens and take up to a year to sexually mature. outside of their breeding season toms and hens will form separate groups given the opportunity. Their breeding season is from early spring to mid summer. at which time the males will strut around and fight with each other to gain the right to breed and can become very aggressive almost never to the point that it causes a fatality and even towards their owners (though very unusual). A good ratio is one tom to 3 to 4 hens. Groups of toms and hens can be raised together given enough room with no issues. Hens will compete for pecking order but is rarely very aggressive and most of the time you will not even notice it is going on. Toms can become very aggressive with each other establishing their pecking order but is rarely very aggressive and usually consists of strutting and chest bumping with bites and nips to each others neck area and occasionally some spurring.
Raising young turkey poults can be a challenge as they are not the smartest of birds. They can get chilled easily and tend not to seek shelter in bad weather. Thus it is on the owner to shew them in their coop when weather is not the best like raining. After they fully feather out this is not necessary as much. Turkeys need a higher protein feed between 18 and 23%. This is not as important if they are free ranged as they will eat small insects, berries, and grasses. Another thing to consider is that young turkeys can fly very well and if you are planning to keep them penned you will need to affix a top to to your turkey run. Once the turkey matures and gains weight they are still able to fly but not as well.
When building a coop consideration must be given to the size of the coop as turkeys take up more space than chickens. If you plan on keeping and breeding them in the future the placement of nest boxes (18" X 18") should also be considered as they are larger and typically will not nest over each other as chickens will so nest boxes should be placed very close to the ground away from the roost in a quiet shaded corner or such. The hens will however lay eggs in the same nest as another hen. Hen can raise their own poults without being separated from other hens or even the males. The key to this is space. One note of concern here if doing this is to remove watering troughs and place watering dishes with small pebbles in it as stated earlier poults are not smart and will drown themselves!
I wrote this based on my own experience in raising turkeys. I am not an expert and do not claim to be. If you have something to add to this or have additional knowledge I would ask you to share with us please.
I say the one who thinks he knows everything knows nothing! and there is always something new to learn.

I don't know about wisdom but I'll share my experience. We first got turkeys at an auction, 2 bronze and 2 slate. Lost 1 immediately, still don't know where
hu.gif
Ended up with 2 toms and a hen. The boys established their pecking order and there never seemed to be any real damage done. I saw both mate Guinevere, but Aurther got more attention than Lancelot. She never seemed too badly abused. I did get a second hen, but she disappeared and I found her feathers on a nest out in the pasture. The Narraganset(s) I have now are her children. Sadly I lost Guinevere the same way. I know in the wild the breeding groups have multiple toms, so I believe that's their natural inclination. From my babies hatched last year I kept 2 toms and 4 hens. A trio might have been enough, but given the predation history, I figured I better double up.

These boys can NOT resolve the leadership. They have been through some rough and tumble fights but they are both pretty evenly matched in size and determination. Just when I think it's over I see them at it again.
roll.png

Here's one of the boys we didn't keep. He's about 2 months here, so cute when they start showing off!

I don't know about wisdom but I'll share my experience. We first got turkeys at an auction, 2 bronze and 2 slate. Lost 1 immediately, still don't know where
hu.gif
Ended up with 2 toms and a hen. The boys established their pecking order and there never seemed to be any real damage done. I saw both mate Guinevere, but Aurther got more attention than Lancelot. She never seemed too badly abused. I did get a second hen, but she disappeared and I found her feathers on a nest out in the pasture. The Narraganset(s) I have now are her children. Sadly I lost Guinevere the same way. I know in the wild the breeding groups have multiple toms, so I believe that's their natural inclination. From my babies hatched last year I kept 2 toms and 4 hens. A trio might have been enough, but given the predation history, I figured I better double up.

These boys can NOT resolve the leadership. They have been through some rough and tumble fights but they are both pretty evenly matched in size and determination. Just when I think it's over I see them at it again.
roll.png

Here's one of the boys we didn't keep. He's about 2 months here, so cute when they start showing off!

A very Nice looking bird!!! I love his mottled coloring.

Thanks! Since he was 1/2 slate, 1/2 bronze he grew up kind of muddy looking. He had a chocolate band in his tail that was really neat when the sun showed through. Gotta find a picture of that....

Last edited:
I will join in, we have a stadard bronze pair that is only about a year old at the most and the hen is laying daily. Cant help with extra eggs though, we only have one hen at the time.

Have no idea what I'll do with them but I'm in.
Yeah!!!

I bought three turkey eggs last year and hatched out a single tom...we still have him and DW says we can't butcher him. She's named him Tango Turkey. He always stands by either one of us when we're out with the chickens. We're hoping for a couple girls in this hatch! He goes in the coop at night with all the chickens too.
I have an aunt who keeps one tom as a pet and has for some 25 years, probably more, that's when I was introduced to Chester!

Here's a shot of my new boys:

I love the strutting boys!!

So can multiple toms get along? Is it similar with roosters that there will be one alpha male and the rest will try to be sneaky? Is there tom fighting? A good ratio of toms to hens? Or does it not matter?

I have a tom and 7 offspring. ( DW died last year) THe 4 boys go at it and lock necks and yank flappy skin. Can look violent; less scary than 2 roosters going at it though. None of the boys buck up against their dad, but they all meen to complete for action with the girls. I"m new, and this has been my observation this spring with my BR.

SCG, you took the words right out of my mouth! I have no clue as to how to raise and keep turkeys! I guess I have about six week to learn! Do they prefer to be up on the highest roosts, like the chickens? Will they run the chickens and guineas off the best spots?

Back
Top Bottom