First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

HELP!
On a good note, they all (7) arrived in beautiful condition. What do I do?
Your eggs will be fine until Sunday's set day. I got mine on Saturday and they are in the bathtub in the hall bath (coolest room in the house). I've just been tilting the carton from end to end three times per day.

I read that turkey eggs can actually be stored even longer than chicken eggs before setting, even up to a month.

I am so ready for the Easter hatch and then on to the turkeys!

Deb

Whats Up With The Male Pattern Baldness!!!!!!!!!!" Sometimes nature isn't kind, if there are any other fellas here you know what I am talking about!

Yep, know all about that!
It's not just you guys...in my family, women gradually go blonder and blonder and then all their hair falls out. It should start in a couple of years, so I have my hair long...as soon I won't be able to!!

I'll bite, what's the story of Linda's TJ roo?

Ennis for last year's NYD hatch, Linda (gryeyes) set eggs she had bought from TJ's . I can't remember if they were marked fertile, organic or free ranging. You would have to ask her. Those eggs were weeks old, had been refrigerated and of course sitting in cartons. She hatched three of them I think. I know other people on BYC have done it as well. I don't know if she still has the roo or not but he grew up into a roo. That is why I got a little giggle when you paniced about getting the eggs today. Don't worry, we only hurt the ones we love
wink.png
hugs.gif
Actually I think the turkey eggs that thebirdguy set for the Easter hatch were two weeks old when he set them and only had to toss one clear. Just remember to breathe
tongue2.gif

Ummm . . . were his eggs shipped? What is the "anticipated" hatch for shipped turkey eggs? I told DH lucky if 50% hatch. I may have a turkey explosion if I get a real high hatch rate!
turkey-1992.gif

Ennis for last year's NYD hatch, Linda (gryeyes) set eggs she had bought from TJ's . I can't remember if they were marked fertile, organic or free ranging. You would have to ask her. Those eggs were weeks old, had been refrigerated and of course sitting in cartons. She hatched three of them I think. I know other people on BYC have done it as well. I don't know if she still has the roo or not but he grew up into a roo. That is why I got a little giggle when you paniced about getting the eggs today. Don't worry, we only hurt the ones we love
wink.png
hugs.gif
Actually I think the turkey eggs that thebirdguy set for the Easter hatch were two weeks old when he set them and only had to toss one clear. Just remember to breathe
tongue2.gif

I hatched Trader Joe eggs for the Valentine's hatch. I got 6 out of the dozen eggs. They are sold as fertile eggs. I also hatched one egg out of a dozen "cage-free" eggs from my local food co-op. One more developed, but didn't hatch and ten were not fertile. The one that hatched turned out to be a BCM roo. TJ=white leghorn

Deb

Okay, thank you for calming my fears every one. I am feeling a bit sheepish right now
roll.png
. I will do as instructed and remember to breathe.

Your eggs will be fine until Sunday's set day. I got mine on Saturday and they are in the bathtub in the hall bath (coolest room in the house). I've just been tilting the carton from end to end three times per day.

I read that turkey eggs can actually be stored even longer than chicken eggs before setting, even up to a month.

I am so ready for the Easter hatch and then on to the turkeys!

Deb

X2

hugs.gif

The way I see it - you can't do anything about the age of the eggs you get. Control the factors you can control. Keep them cool (about 50 degrees), "turn" them a few times a day until you can throw them in the incubator.

I've hatched refrigerated eggs before, not as old as the TJ shelf eggs, and really, nature makes an awesome product that can hold up a long time.

Morning SCG! Craz e laid e the eggs were his own not shipped. Again, there is no predicting how many shipped eggs will hatch. I got six shipped to me last year from Denny because I figured I would wind up with two or three turkeys. All six hatched. Go figure.
wink.png
It depends on so much out of your control. All I know is you can only count them after the hatch.
big_smile.png

They were shipped from Iowa to Montana.

Who was the seller from Iowa?? I do love my RP hen, though she is going to have a short life if she insists on hopping the fence to lay. She's got a nest somewhere out in the neighbors field and if she decides to brood out there I don't know if I'll be able to find her.

Morning SCG! Craz e laid e the eggs were his own not shipped. Again, there is no predicting how many shipped eggs will hatch. I got six shipped to me last year from Denny because I figured I would wind up with two or three turkeys. All six hatched. Go figure.
wink.png
It depends on so much out of your control. All I know is you can only count them after the hatch.
big_smile.png

I recieved 8 turkeys as part of a mixed auction on BYC and got 5 to hatch - the black tom and the RP are from them. That's a better average than my record with shipped chicken eggs
roll.png

When Guinevere fnally set on her eggs she had 18 collected so some of them were quite old. When I candled at a week the development was over 90%, so I think older eggs should still be OK of they are taken care of. I hope so at least, some of mine going in will be 3 weeks old or more
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom