First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Quote:
We are all being fitted for custom straight jackets!
gig.gif

I started with 1 a year and a half ago; after many late nights doing research I bought 25 chicks. And that was the beginning. I have bought chicks from the farm store, private breeders and such, and with CHooks chicks support tried hatching.

I have turkeys and ducks, too.
love.gif

Can you put mom in a milk stanchion and let the little one drink? Did the vet do anything for the pneumonia? If one or more of the kids is a buckling, take it away when trying to get the little one to nurse. For some reason the dams seem to favor the bucklings over doelings, we prefer the opposite.
My other goat had triplets Friday morning. Yesterday she quit feeding the littlest one (The one in the middle) and he's not taking to the bottle well, he has the beginnings of pneumonia. Doc says we will know whether he'll make it within 48 hours. To those of you who pray....

Can you put mom in a milk stanchion and let the little one drink? Did the vet do anything for the pneumonia? If one or more of the kids is a buckling, take it away when trying to get the little one to nurse. For some reason the dams seem to favor the bucklings over doelings, we prefer the opposite.

I don't have a stanchion, I sort of pin her in a corner and hold her to let him nurse, usually with 2 or 3 legs off the ground so she can't move or kick. She gave him amoxicllin. I keep the other kids away when I try to feed him. I thought she would get rid of the doeling too, but she didn't. She had 2 boys and a girl.

This just occurred to me. When he was born, the fluid in his sac was yellow. The others weren't. Do you know what this means?

I don't have a stanchion, I sort of pin her in a corner and hold her to let him nurse, usually with 2 or 3 legs off the ground so she can't move or kick. She gave him amoxicllin. I keep the other kids away when I try to feed him. I thought she would get rid of the doeling too, but she didn't. She had 2 boys and a girl.

This just occurred to me. When he was born, the fluid in his sac was yellow. The others weren't. Do you know what this means?

No, I don't know what the different sac color would mean. The only time I've experienced a doe rejecting a kid was for a day or two after we disbudded. What's the longest the kid has not been offered milk? Is it eating hay or grains yet ? If it's not taking the bottle well, it could be a matter of being more stubborn than him. Are you triyng to give it goats milk of whole milk ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom