First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Well, I failed to get any turkey tutors to set so I'm just going to have to teach them myself. I read somewhere once that shipped turkeys have a harder time learning to eat & drink, perhaps due to getting confused by the shipping, so I'm hoping if all they do is go from the hatcher to the brooder, they won't get too confused. For those who have hatched turkeys before, what was your experience?

I did stop by the house of someone I've seen with a "Farm Fresh Eggs" sign out the front, and asked what breeds he has, thinking I might set half a dozen as turkey tutors. He replied "Araucanas, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orphlingtons". But on further questioning, it turns out he has only one rooster to 60 hens so the fertility was going to be spotty, plus all eggs were refrigerated. If I'd been determined to get them I'd have asked if it would be possible to grab a half dozen eggs out of the nest boxes but due to the fertility and not really needing any more RIR or BO, and figuring the Araucanas were actually EE's that would likely lay brown eggs due to the RIR rooster, I just couldn't get motivated so told him "thanks anyway" and left.

I have not noticed any problems with my poults finding food and water,but then they always had a turkey tutor. I notice my TT chicks that hatched Sunday have found food and water faster with the help of their 3 week old chick tutors. That's my experience.

RIR on Ameraucana or EE results in a blue green egg from what I know so far; waitiig for the hens to start producing to prove it!!

Fertility may be spotty but I bet that rooster is busy. He's likely to have a particular group that he is more likely to congregate with. Could be worth trying if you could pay eating egg prices. It's ok to refigerate; a BYC'er in FL puts all his hatching eggs in the refrig. It all depends on the setting in the refrig: my upper level runs at 35 which is too cold for eggs; the lowest is 45 and works fine.

Well, I failed to get any turkey tutors to set so I'm just going to have to teach them myself. I read somewhere once that shipped turkeys have a harder time learning to eat & drink, perhaps due to getting confused by the shipping, so I'm hoping if all they do is go from the hatcher to the brooder, they won't get too confused. For those who have hatched turkeys before, what was your experience?

i've gotten in shipped turkeys as well as hatched out thousands..

the ones with tutors seem to have an easier time of it.. however the only difference I have ever noticed between shipped birds and ones that you hatched yourself is that some of the shipped birds may be a little stressed or weaker.. in which case I make sure to always give them some warmish water with brown sugar added for the first few days.. also i always put marbles in their feed as well as their water (regardless of if they are shipped or not) since turkeys love to peck at shiny things and will find their food and water easier that way

for any turkey poult make sure the water isn't COLD when you give it to them since they can chill pretty easy.. I make sure the water I give them for at least the first week is warm (not hot)
also a wet chilled poult = a dead poult.. so make sure they stay warm and dry

I did stop by the house of someone I've seen with a "Farm Fresh Eggs" sign out the front, and asked what breeds he has, thinking I might set half a dozen as turkey tutors. He replied "Araucanas, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orphlingtons". But on further questioning, it turns out he has only one rooster to 60 hens so the fertility was going to be spotty, plus all eggs were refrigerated. If I'd been determined to get them I'd have asked if it would be possible to grab a half dozen eggs out of the nest boxes but due to the fertility and not really needing any more RIR or BO, and figuring the Araucanas were actually EE's that would likely lay brown eggs due to the RIR rooster, I just couldn't get motivated so told him "thanks anyway" and left.

I'm supposed to head down your way this week...so if I can round up a couple of chicks from my menagerie, I can bring them. They'll likely be mixes or little cute banty things.

Gotta love the Orphlingtons!!

I have an egg question. I know we are focusing on turkeys but since we are hatching turkey tutors I thought I might ask.

I have a number of eggs that are equally round on both ends. THe pointy end looks like the round end. Fresh eggs do not have an air cell yet to help me locate the round end. My question is: can I visually inspect the ends and distinguish pointy v. round by shell characteristics??

I have had the same issue. I found that the rounded end sometimes has a grainier texture when you softly slide you finger over it than the pointed end. Try it on some of the more normally shaped eggs and see if you can feel what I mean. Also, if you lay them on their side for a week in the bator (hand turning) the cell will be noticeable later. One more thing to try is to lay the egg on a flat surface and give it a little poke. It may roll in an arc, the smaller end to the center of the arc. Good Luck!

I have had the same issue. I found that the rounded end sometimes has a grainier texture when you softly slide you finger over it than the pointed end. Try it on some of the more normally shaped eggs and see if you can feel what I mean. Also, if you lay them on their side for a week in the bator (hand turning) the cell will be noticeable later. One more thing to try is to lay the egg on a flat surface and give it a little poke. It may roll in an arc, the smaller end to the center of the arc. Good Luck!

Great! Thanks!

The "round end" looks grainier to me--but I didn't know if all eggs were like this or just mine! LOL. Since hatching chicks/poults I see eggs with a totally new perspective. I see the little nuances now.

I have a little AM/EE, dad is real AM , and I have been waiting 9 months for her to lay. Yesterday was her FIRST egg. A robin egg blue, medium size , a bit narrow, and covered evenly with tiny white polka dots the size of a pin head.

I'm supposed to head down your way this week...so if I can round up a couple of chicks from my menagerie, I can bring them. They'll likely be mixes or little cute banty things.

My turkey eggs are only on day 8 so it will be awhile before they need tutors - do the tutors need to be close to their age or does it still work when there is an age difference?
Anyway, it will be great to see you this week. You had said something earlier about a Sportsman in Wichita - is that still in the cards too?

Quote:
Oooooo, I want to see it! Can you post pics? PLEASE?

Keep in mind that the pointed end sometimes has bumps too and that you should use it as a clue and not the sole indicator. Did you poke it? I have had some that rolled straight but also had some that made the arc when I couldn't see the difference. I always turn the egg around to make sure it arcs the other way and that it is not just the surface making it arc.

My post master keeps trying to convince me to label the boxes as FRAGILE EGGS. Really? SO the workers can kick them around? I've already had "NICE" discussions with him about the mishandling of eggs sent USPS.
th.gif
I may just use one of the other 2 PO in the other direction.

I always ask that eggs sent to me get marked like that. My postal carriers do a good job of taking care of them if they know what they are. I sincerely doubt anyone would damage a box on purpose. It's the machines that do that and if they are marked they may not go through a machine at all.

Great! Thanks!

The "round end" looks grainier to me--but I didn't know if all eggs were like this or just mine! LOL. Since hatching chicks/poults I see eggs with a totally new perspective. I see the little nuances now.

I have a little AM/EE, dad is real AM , and I have been waiting 9 months for her to lay. Yesterday was her FIRST egg. A robin egg blue, medium size , a bit narrow, and covered evenly with tiny white polka dots the size of a pin head.
Several of my Iowa Blues lay perfectly oval eggs. I guess it helps I incubate on their sides and hand turn so it doesn't matter
tongue.png

Quote:
Oooooo, I want to see it! Can you post pics? PLEASE?

Keep in mind that the pointed end sometimes has bumps too and that you should use it as a clue and not the sole indicator. Did you poke it? I have had some that rolled straight but also had some that made the arc when I couldn't see the difference. I always turn the egg around to make sure it arcs the other way and that it is not just the surface making it arc.
LOL

Roll both ways to check. Makes sense.

I just turned all the eggs, and looked more closely at the ends. I can feel the difference better than see it. One eggs looked the same on both ends; then I used the same finger to gently rub and AH hA, one end grainy , other other egg shell smooth LOL

Of course with so many eggs to turn, I hesitate to stop just to roll. Tonight I need to candle 3 dozen, so that will be the time to do a roll test. ANd that will give me time to find a small sheet of fiber board.

I have all low tech stuff. No cell. Dial up. Old boxy TV's. If it works I keep it. DH has the cell phone so I will have him shoot a few pics and send it to me!! THe first time I saw this procedure was on NCIS. THe nerdy night club owner was a 17 year old and he sent info to one of the agents. THe first time I saw this scene I did not know how the agent received the info. LOL I get it now!

Back
Top Bottom