First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I have a very nice man that lives up the road. I got to know him and his lovely wife about a year ago on the day I knocked on their door with a basket of eggs to share. They loved the eggs so much that the man got some chickens! He bought 4 hens that were pitiful looking and covered in mites. I helped him a bit and before long they looked great and he was hooked. Next, he asked if he could have some of my hens. I didn't really want to get rid of any of mine, so I asked him how many more did he want. He said he wanted 6 more hens but no roosters. I bought 24 Ameraucana pullets and raised them to about 7 weeks old. I told he that 6 of them would be his if he wanted them. Today he came over and picked 6 and acted plumb giddy. I said he could have more if he wanted and he took two more, 8 total. Just a few minutes ago he called and asked if he could have 2 more. LOL I said, "Of course!" He is thrilled.
Way to spread the addiction love!!
highfive.gif

#2 is out (a Standard Bronze) and 3 and 4 are not far behind. These were all set on Easter day around noon. Turkeys seem to hatch a lot quicker than chickens do. It seems like chickens take forever to go from pip to zip. These turkeys are moving right along.

Quote: "Tomatoes A Country Garden Cookbook" by Jesse Ziff Cool

It will be awhile before we have any tomatoes in our garden but I'm going to be picking some of my favorites to try as soon as I can!
I haven't started mine yet. Despite the nice weather earlier in the spring I was a bit suspicious that frost temps could hit at any time, and of course they did. SO if I can get a few seeds started this weekend, I'll be good on tomatos.

I just went out to put my car in the garage because the weatherman said we could have hail tonight.......while I was in the garage, I checked temp and humidity....holding at 99 degrees and 75% just as it was around 8:30 when I came in from outside......and what do I see.....a poult is out!!! I wasn't expecting anything yet since I set my eggs Easter Sunday evening!! Maybe it was the warmer temps that I had the incubator at for this hatch. Maybe the full moon. Please, please, please don't let the power go out in this storm tonight...
fl.gif

Thanks, Arielle, I'll check into that. And when I think about it, my problems really began when I started ordering eggs. Hmmmm - I wonder if there's a connection?? I do have a question you or someone else might be able to answer. My fan quit half way through this hatch. My DH took it out to fix it, and in the process, attached a plug directly to it. Would you unplug the fan during lock down?

Today I got a surprise!! Wisher sent me two books!! The one I won for the Poultry Yoga Contest and an extra one...a Tomato Cookbook. It will come in very handy!! Thank You Wisher!!

celebrate.gif

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the title, I can't wait for homegrown tomatoes.

#2 is out (a Standard Bronze) and 3 and 4 are not far behind. These were all set on Easter day around noon. Turkeys seem to hatch a lot quicker than chickens do. It seems like chickens take forever to go from pip to zip. These turkeys are moving right along.

I just went out to put my car in the garage because the weatherman said we could have hail tonight.......while I was in the garage, I checked temp and humidity....holding at 99 degrees and 75% just as it was around 8:30 when I came in from outside......and what do I see.....a poult is out!!! I wasn't expecting anything yet since I set my eggs Easter Sunday evening!! Maybe it was the warmer temps that I had the incubator at for this hatch. Maybe the full moon. Please, please, please don't let the power go out in this storm tonight...
fl.gif

Its wonderful to see these early hatches. I sure hope mine are early.

Thanks, Arielle, I'll check into that. And when I think about it, my problems really began when I started ordering eggs. Hmmmm - I wonder if there's a connection?? I do have a question you or someone else might be able to answer. My fan quit half way through this hatch. My DH took it out to fix it, and in the process, attached a plug directly to it. Would you unplug the fan during lock down?
IMO keep the fan going. THe air circulates better and the temps stay more even through out the incubator. Someone did a study, and they recommended the fain for this reason. The egg is still developing during the last days, and the air cell needs those days to reach the right size, and a think a fan improves the air quality in the incubator.

I'm not an expert, this is based on my experience, and reading. We have some long time hatchers who are welcome to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom