First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I am getting ready to do a dump run. I have an old, broken two drawer file cabinet. I turned it on it's side to get it out of the office and an idea popped in my head.
SCG you thinking what I am thinking?

I am getting ready to do a dump run. I have an old, broken two drawer file cabinet. I turned it on it's side to get it out of the office and an idea popped in my head.
Wood is a much better insulator than metal. Go for it. ANd consider turning it upright and use the draw slides to manouver trays of eggs. We all have hatching-eggs-on-the-brain syndrome.

Noncentzter so sorry to hear that you lost your poult.
hugs.gif
I wonder what is going on this year with them? Last year had no issues hatching all six eggs Denny sent me, all six poults made it to at least teenager stage when I had to put one of them down after she hurt her leg jumping off the coop and the only other one I "lost" was to a coyote. This year, six out of 27 eggs hatch, one has wry neck and the other I think didn't realize that it needed to eat and drink. Hmmmmmmmm it is a mystery.

lau.gif

Arielle, I just have to laugh. I am thinking incubator but of the natural sort.
wink.png

Now do you think I could split it in half using hardware cloth and use it for two broodies or do you think it is really only big enough for one considering they will need a little room once the eggs hatch?

lau.gif

Arielle, I just have to laugh. I am thinking incubator but of the natural sort.
wink.png

Now do you think I could split it in half using hardware cloth and use it for two broodies or do you think it is really only big enough for one considering they will need a little room once the eggs hatch?

lau.gif
That IS funny! Other options are nest boxes or a chick brooder. No way is that thing going to the dump from MY house.

Chris says flip it so the front now is the top, put a partition in, a hinged door on the top like ours and plunge cut two holes in the front and cover with wire

Y'all are not going to believe this... When I picked up eggs for this hatch, I didn't have enough cartons for all she gave me and had to improvise. Two weeks later, DS#2 found two eggs that had rolled under the front seat and I half-heartedly put them in the bator. Today, one of them hatched! It has only been three weeks! They must have started in the car! Maybe I need to hatch them all that way!

It is so ironic that I fuss and worry with the temp and humidity, handle with care, washing hands, turning slowly to candle, etc. and I have a terrible hatch. Then I have one hatch that was rolling around on the floor of the "Mommy Ride" with all the french fries and gummy bears and heated to who-knows-what temperature all day and cool all night and that hatches

Sorry about the poults........ cute dog in the pic!

Last edited:
Y'all are not going to believe this... When I picked up eggs for this hatch, I didn't have enough cartons for all she gave me and had to improvise. Two weeks later, DS#2 found two eggs that had rolled under the front seat and I half-heartedly put them in the bator. Today, one of them hatched! It has only been three weeks! They must have started in the car! Maybe I need to hatch them all that way!
That must truly be the definition of a staggered hatch!

Congratulations
clap.gif

Deb

It is so ironic that I fuss and worry with the temp and humidity, handle with care, washing hands, turning slowly to candle, etc. and I have a terrible hatch. Then I have one hatch that was rolling around on the floor of the "Mommy Ride" with all the french fries and gummy bears and heated to who-knows-what temperature all day and cool all night and that hatches

Sorry about the poults........ cute dog in the pic!

lol.. last year I had duck eggs incubating on the counter.... but then again it was around 100 here during the day at the time!

Back
Top Bottom