First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

SCG how important is Step #1? Cuz I looked and looked (even kept my eye out for a likely hitch hiker on the way home) and I couldn't find the necessary part for step #1 so I just skipped it.
wink.png

Now that looks GREAT! And you did it quickly, too. I guess step #1 isn't that important! For me, it's essential. As my ex husband so lovingly put it, I'm "3d-tarded."

I agree with the other poster though, you may want to either hammer down the wire ends or put some "trim" on. We trim ours. Makes it easier when you go to move it.

I ended up slicing my thumb up pretty good today on the topsy-turveys for the tomatoes. This is why I don't use power tools.

So, I broke down and bought two poults at the feed store to provide the lone survivor company of its own kind.... As it really wasn't "lonely" with six tutors....
What kind did you get? My feed stores only had BBB and BBW and I didn't want them as I don't have processing equipment big enough - I wanted the heritage birds. I'm so envious of people that get to choose from heritage breeds at their feed store.

Quote: Now I can enjoy veal with out the guilt!!!

Some of the best duck I every eat was prepared by an older woman we all called Gram. Her son was an avid bird hunter, with spaniels to collect the birds, and boy that duck was excellent. A deep dark crisp brown. Yum......

I ended up slicing my thumb up pretty good today on the topsy-turveys for the tomatoes. This is why I don't use power tools.
Ouch!! Hope it heals quickly.

So, I broke down and bought two poults at the feed store to provide the lone survivor company of its own kind.... As it really wasn't "lonely" with six tutors....
Of course you broke down, you are very kind. Our store only orders BBB. Got BBW last year by accident. Quite the beasts. In early November I drove them to the butcher. I drive a scion and 8 huge birds were a tight fit. In 20 minutes I was unloading and pushing thebirds on to the loading dock. Six hours later I was picking up 35# toms and 25# hens. DH bought me a new super sized roasting pan for Christmas. The Toms don't fit!
gig.gif

SCG hope the slice isn't too bad.
Arielle that is the main reason that while I have been tempted to pick up a few of the BBB at the feed store, I haven't. I really like the size that the heritage birds get to. I don't need a Frankenturkey.

Now I can enjoy veal with out the guilt!!!

Some of the best duck I every eat was prepared by an older woman we all called Gram. Her son was an avid bird hunter, with spaniels to collect the birds, and boy that duck was excellent. A deep dark crisp brown. Yum......

I learned a lot about cooking duck from this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/318580/butchering-ducks-pin-feather-question/10
I believe Bwmichaud is a chef... some of the ideas they give seem like a lot of work.. but trust me.. they are soooo worth it!
(you'll have to scroll down a bit on that page for the info)

Thank you! Now I'm hungry for duck.

I think we're probably going to wait another week or two that way the chickens are ready, too. They're only about 3 months old now, but they're starting to get plump enough to eat, with the exception of the cross beak chick that's just bones (albeit happy bones).

Broodie box #2 is done. Thank you SCG for all your suggestions and the pics on how to do it.
thumbsup.gif
(Even if I skipped step #1 both times
wink.png
)

My last 2 BR are a no show.
barnie.gif
Of 8 turkey eggs, nothing hatched.But I have the turkey tutors!! ANd more BR eggs in the incubator.
fl.gif

SCG hope the slice isn't too bad.
Arielle that is the main reason that while I have been tempted to pick up a few of the BBB at the feed store, I haven't. I really like the size that the heritage birds get to. I don't need a Frankenturkey.
I don't mind a super sized bird. Rather, I need a few more butchering skills to cut it into reasonable sections before freezing.

Quote: Will definitely check into that.

Broodie box #2 is done. Thank you SCG for all your suggestions and the pics on how to do it.
thumbsup.gif
(Even if I skipped step #1 both times
wink.png
)

Great workmanship!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom