First baby chick hatched!

Brie6895

Songster
6 Years
May 13, 2013
Magnolia Springs, AL
Hey everyone! I have a couple questions about my first baby chick who hatched to my surprise naturally yesterday. I was not planning on hatching any baby's but this little one hatched out of no where. Excuse me if I ramble I and just beyond excited. So thank you anyone who gets to my questions! Lol!

Luckily I have two coops side by side. By sweet DH built one of my sick chickens its own little 2x4 coop and 4x8 run connecting to my main coop and run awhile back. Unfortunely my sick chicken passed. Anyways he decided we should seperate the mother and baby from the other because the single little chick was getting a lot of attention from the other hens and momma wasn't too happy. So he set them up in the smaller coop and run :) this is my first time with a momma and baby so I'm not sure what I need to do.

It was a challenge to get her close enough to even move her to the other coop but now she seems to be much less stressed. I love to go down there and watch them its the cutest thing I've ever seen. But I really want to hold the baby! Do you think if I tried to pick it up the mother wold attack? I thought about just laying a towel down in the run and just sitting still for about 30 min and let them walk over me. But in not sure if the hen will try to challange me. She's never been aggressive towards me but she's never been one that loved to be picked up.

My other question is if I got another baby so the little one would have a friend would the mother reject it because its not hers? Would she try to kill it?

I was thinking if I got another chick that in a couple weeks if I tried to Introduce them back to the small flock it would be an easier transition? I should add that both of my coops and runs are connected in the center so they can see each other all the time.

I'm fixing to walk down there and post a picture of my set up.

Here is the inside of the cute little coop!

the hen should not be aggressive to you so its ok to pick up the baby but wash your hands before so it cant catch anything from you I you got another chick yes the mother could kill it but it could also adopt it. I you get another chick you should separate the mom from the chicks make sure the chick has food and water but the chick can die if it get wet from falling in the water container

the hen should not be aggressive to you so its ok to pick up the baby but wash your hands before so it cant catch anything from you I you got another chick yes the mother could kill it but it could also adopt it. I you get another chick you should separate the mom from the chicks make sure the chick has food and water but the chick can die if it get wet from falling in the water container
I used the quail waterer base for chicks. Not wide enough they can drown in.

Lol does anyone see my question?
I've raised babies before I'm familiar with which water container to use ect. This is just my first chick raising outside with a mom.

I've sat in the run and she hasn't tried anything, she's actually been very calm. I still haven't bed able to hold the baby but I can't catch her. Plus I'm worried I will scare her if everytime I go in there I'm grabbing for her. My question was if I sat in there each day if this would be a good idea to get the chick to see that I am not a threat?
Also if it would be a good idea to get another chick?

I have very limited experience with broodys, but heres my 2 cents.

Seeing my friends broody with 3 day old chick, she was very east to deal with, a flat hand palm down to lift the broody up slightly and simply reach in and pick chicks up. Not a grumble or hint of aggression.

My main broody, Rosy, will grumble if I go near, but using the same palm down I have been able to reach under and check eggs for candli g etc. I have been hand feeding her regularly and have no worries about her pecking me, at the moment. She is on day 20 today, so will let you know how the hatch goes and how her temperment changes.

My other newly broody hen, olive, is viscious as hell. She starts pecking as soon as im near. Im not planning on letting her hatch, so if I approach her from behind I can remove eggs without too much fuss.

Hey everyone! I have a couple questions about my first baby chick who hatched to my surprise naturally yesterday. I was not planning on hatching any baby's but this little one hatched out of no where. Excuse me if I ramble I and just beyond excited. So thank you anyone who gets to my questions! Lol!

Luckily I have two coops side by side. By sweet DH built one of my sick chickens its own little 2x4 coop and 4x8 run connecting to my main coop and run awhile back. Unfortunely my sick chicken passed. Anyways he decided we should seperate the mother and baby from the other because the single little chick was getting a lot of attention from the other hens and momma wasn't too happy. So he set them up in the smaller coop and run
smile.png
this is my first time with a momma and baby so I'm not sure what I need to do.

It was a challenge to get her close enough to even move her to the other coop but now she seems to be much less stressed. I love to go down there and watch them its the cutest thing I've ever seen. But I really want to hold the baby! Do you think if I tried to pick it up the mother wold attack? I thought about just laying a towel down in the run and just sitting still for about 30 min and let them walk over me. But in not sure if the hen will try to challange me. She's never been aggressive towards me but she's never been one that loved to be picked up.

My other question is if I got another baby so the little one would have a friend would the mother reject it because its not hers? Would she try to kill it?

I was thinking if I got another chick that in a couple weeks if I tried to Introduce them back to the small flock it would be an easier transition? I should add that both of my coops and runs are connected in the center so they can see each other all the time.

I'm fixing to walk down there and post a picture of my set up.
If you are going to try and have her adopt another chick it must be done now and it must be done at night where she cannot see the new chick, Cup the chick in your hand and place it under her from behind... If you wait two weeks and then try to just give her a chick she may very well kill it as she would see it as an intruder and possible danger to her chick.. Nobody here can tell you if it will work, I can tell you in my case I introduced three chicks to a momma hen four days after hers hatched, I did it as I described and she accepted them.

The older the chick is the more danger you have of her not taking it.. If you can get your hands on one or two today that would be great.
And as long as the other hens can see and hear the chicks now they should be fine reintroducing them to the flock with the momma, my hens clear a path for my broody, she is vicious and wont allow anything (except the rooster) within an inch of her babies...

BTW... Your set up looks great!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom