Babies hatched now what?!

hrayb

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2017
My momma orphington, has hatched 5 eggs so far out of 12. My question is- the coop is elevated off the ground and they go down stairs into the run, if I section off a space for momma and her chicks so they can still see the others but they won’t be able to ever get to the run, however they won’t have a chance of falling or getting trampled by another hen. Is this okay, will it bother mom to not be able to get into the run for a couple weeks?

My momma orphington, has hatched 5 eggs so far out of 12. My question is- the coop is elevated off the ground and they go down stairs into the run, if I section off a space for momma and her chicks so they can still see the others but they won’t be able to ever get to the run, however they won’t have a chance of falling or getting trampled by another hen. Is this okay, will it bother mom to not be able to get into the run for a couple weeks?

The babies will be confused by the ramp. You will have to make sure they get back with her at night. My hens usually just sleep on the ground if the babies can’t get back into the coop.

I would let her take them into the run and just monitor for a while. She should protect them from the other chickens. She needs to be able to teach them how to dust bathe and she can’t do that in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom