lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
Hello! I want to hatch some duck eggs this year but I have a few questions first! I want to make sure I do everything right to ensure an easy, effective, and safe hatch.

(I apologize in advance if these seem obvious to some! It’s only my third time using an incubator and would be my first time incubating duck eggs, so I’m still learning!)

First off, I was wondering how much space the eggs need in between each other if I were to hatch them on their side?

Also, the incubator that I currently have (link provided below) has those little holes for the eggs to stand upright instead of on their sides, however, the duck eggs are too big so the lid won’t close! Does anybody see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to lay the eggs on their sides in an incubator such as this one? Could it mess with hatching if there’s a hole below the egg or could it affect the heat or something? If so, is there anything I can fill the hole with to combat that such as straw or something?

https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Te...wVR7ZF_Szf8s2HdIqT1trL3gRD7D1mIRoCKa0QAvD_BwE

Thank you in advance! And if anybody has any tips for first time duckling hatchers or anything to say on how duckling hatching differs from chick hatching, that would be appreciated!

Hello! I want to hatch some duck eggs this year but I have a few questions first! I want to make sure I do everything right to ensure an easy, effective, and safe hatch.

(I apologize in advance if these seem obvious to some! It’s only my third time using an incubator and would be my first time incubating duck eggs, so I’m still learning!)

First off, I was wondering how much space the eggs need in between each other if I were to hatch them on their side?

Also, the incubator that I currently have (link provided below) has those little holes for the eggs to stand upright instead of on their sides, however, the duck eggs are too big so the lid won’t close! Does anybody see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to lay the eggs on their sides in an incubator such as this one? Could it mess with hatching if there’s a hole below the egg or could it affect the heat or something? If so, is there anything I can fill the hole with to combat that such as straw or something?

https://www.amazon.com/Incubator-Te...wVR7ZF_Szf8s2HdIqT1trL3gRD7D1mIRoCKa0QAvD_BwE

Thank you in advance! And if anybody has any tips for first time duckling hatchers or anything to say on how duckling hatching differs from chick hatching, that would be appreciated!
Hatching on their side isn't a problem, neither is having holes underneath :). Just make sure you turn the eggs. And before setting make sure the eggs' air cells aren't saddled (you can do this by leaving eggs for 12 hours at a slight angle, like in an egg carton, then flipping the other way and leaving for another 12 hours) Spacing really isn't much of a problem either, I just don't like to jam pack my eggs because then they don't have legroom to hatch or orient themselves on hatch day.

Hatching on their side isn't a problem, neither is having holes underneath :). Just make sure you turn the eggs. And before setting make sure the eggs' air cells aren't saddled (you can do this by leaving eggs for 12 hours at a slight angle, like in an egg carton, then flipping the other way and leaving for another 12 hours) Spacing really isn't much of a problem either, I just don't like to jam pack my eggs because then they don't have legroom to hatch or orient themselves on hatch day.

Thank you so much for all of the info!!

Back
Top Bottom