First Broody Hatch

Bammy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Snow Shoe, PA.
When I discovered my 2 black Cochin banties were sitting in a nest with 14 eggs, I was shocked. I had no idea which were old and which were fresh. So I gathered the eggs and hens into a basket and gave them a spot in my side of the big coop. I have hatched using the incubator, but I enjoyed this so much more. The two girls hatched out 11 babies over a 2 week period. The last 2 died and they kicked 3 eggs out of the nest. One girl took over watching the babies as they hatched and the other sat on the eggs. Just amazing! This flock has white silkies, red cochins, white frizzle cochins, black cochins, black tail Japanese, d'uccles and buff brahma. The babies are feather footed, white with some brown markings, but not a black one there!

Thanks for posting this. I've seen one other person on this forum post something similar, where two hen's worked together for a staggered hatch, one taking care of the chicks while the other one kept hatching. I know we are dealing with living animals so anything is possible, but I was not sure I believed the first post. Now I'm pretty well convinced this is really possible.

I assure you, though, this is really unusual. Count yourself lucky. Most of the time, both broodies would leave the nest to take care of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom